General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'll bet everybody knows this

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Mar 2020 00:49

and it's probably been posted, but ... March 20 was Vera Lynn's 103rd birthday.

My mum and my siblings and the next generation have been doing an email chain of daily anecdotes, for my mum who is in cancer treatment once again. Yesterday, my nephew reported going for a walk in the urban park near him and seeing an otter and a muskrat. So today, I said that when this is all over he must take us all for a walk there -- *When the lights come on again all over the world.*

My mum said I should find a video and send it around. So I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzlFaY0s_QI

And I saw that Vera Lynn was born in East Ham, like my grandfather. And that she is still living, and still keeping people's spirits up:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-51981339

Hurray for Vera.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Mar 2020 10:55

Angel Radio had a special programme on her.

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 Mar 2020 11:00

Absolutely hurray for Vera :-) It's kind of an odd thought that my late mum would have listened to her during the war and Vera is still around boosting spirits.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Mar 2020 14:41

She is wonderful isn't she? wonder what she makes of the panic buying?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Mar 2020 23:38

It was just the oddest thing that what came into my head, as I was suggesting my far-flung family get together for a picnic "when this is all over", was ?When the lights go on again? -- and it happened to be on Vera's very birthday.

My mum said that after she read the email, she couldn't get it out of her head all day.

Panic buying ... I imagine she saw her share of it in the day, and has an idea of why it happens. But I imagine she is not amused.

I wonder what she thinks of the frollicking millennials. Too bad none of them would know who she was, or she could try shaking a stick at them.

... Oh well, those "?"s up there were the musical note symbols -- alt-1,3 -- and I thought I was being so clever, but I see GR doesn't like them.