General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Flapjacks of History

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Mar 2020 15:22

I found a recipe in the paper to make jam and peanut butter flapjacks which did look a bit tasty so I thought I would make some.

I have plenty of peanut butter and all the other stuff so I had a look in the store cupboard for jam. It did stipulate strawberry or raspberry jam but I knew I didn't have any of that.

You will remember that i used to make poor Fred go out collecting things for him to eat and I made a lot of jam in those days There are still plenty left and I found a jar of red cherry plum jam that I had made in 2013.

It was very crystallized and would have been very crunchy on bread but it did make some lovely flapjacks. Yum,yum,yum.

Use by date. Don't think so!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Mar 2020 15:48

I'm sure they will be delicious, Sharron.

Daughter and I have had several meals lately based on store cupboard ingredients.
She has an idea, delves in the store and I get asked,
"Are you alright for a date of November 2019 ?".... or whatever

Jams, marmalade and pickles used to be called preserve, so they should last a while.
Might be sugary, colour might not be the best, but still OK to eat.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Mar 2020 19:29

I added a tin of bertolini (sp?) beans to a casserole on Tuesday - use by date 2017!
So far, no ill effects!

I also reached right to the back of the 'other' cupboard under the sink.
I actually have 3 vases! :-D
I also found a tin of 'Chappie' - use by date - 2006.
I threw it out :-S
No dog has lived here since 2010, though the dog was here on and off from 1998.

Phyll

Phyll Report 27 Mar 2020 20:34

can I freeze milk

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Mar 2020 20:44

My mate used to and I think the lady on the other thread about freezing eggs said that she had.

Allan

Allan Report 27 Mar 2020 20:50

Phyll, short answer is yes, with certain precautions

https://tinyurl.com/vtezwp9

When I worked as a Health Inspector in remote areas of Western Australia years ago it was a common practice to freeze mils as deliveries of fresh foods only took place weekly and any adverse weather conditions could play havoc with those schedules