General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Homeless

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Mar 2020 18:13

The government has dictated that the homeless need to be accommodated by the week-end.

There must be the capacity to do this so why did it need extreme circumstances to enact it?

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 27 Mar 2020 18:23

Exactly what we said when we heard, sadly some won't go into hostels because they can't take their dog. I know some will say it's only a dog but to some the dog is all the family they have.

We knew a young homeless chap who wouldn't leave his dog as he said she was his mate and never judged him. Several people tried to get him into a place but he always said not without my mate. We used to buy him food and drinks and odd items of clothing. Sadly he died because he contracted sepsis from a cut to his leg.

Dermot

Dermot Report 27 Mar 2020 18:38

Men & women sleep rough in squats, tents, cars, parks, bins, under flimsy sleeping bags in damp shop doorways – all unimaginable spaces in our capital city and beyond.

Shameful!
:-0 :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Mar 2020 18:50

It's amazing what is being revealed because of the pandemic.

Ralph Mctell added a new verse to his 'Streets of London', before the edict about the homeless:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52046893

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Mar 2020 18:55

Why aren't people with a spare room coming forward to offer to take them off the streets and give them a bed.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Mar 2020 19:21

Because they're strangers!
Also, homeless people have acquired a very strong independence (It's called survival), and would find the confines of a house, with strangers, particularly during a pandemic, unbearable.

As JustGinnie said, some prefer living on the streets.

Dermot

Dermot Report 27 Mar 2020 19:59

Once upon a time, governments purportedly represented their populace.

This one of ours represents itself, its pals and its backers, and we pick up the tab.

Anyone out there with enough courage to turn off the tap on this disgusting shower?

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Mar 2020 20:12

I have spent a lot of time thinking about the spare room option. Yes, I do have two bedrooms and the housing association does ask us to rent out our spare rooms but it is such a big step for me.

I have never lived on the streets, more by luck than judgement with my childhood, ad I really don't know what survival techniques an individual may have acquired and I don't know if I could cope with whatever they might do.

You don't run to the streets, you run from something and I don't know what mental damage may have been done to them, and I might well understand that better than many.

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Mar 2020 20:12

I have spent a lot of time thinking about the spare room option. Yes, I do have two bedrooms and the housing association does ask us to rent out our spare rooms but it is such a big step for me.

I have never lived on the streets, more by luck than judgement with my childhood, ad I really don't know what survival techniques an individual may have acquired and I don't know if I could cope with whatever they might do.

You don't run to the streets, you run from something and I don't know what mental damage may have been done to them, and I might well understand that better than many.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Mar 2020 20:17

Yep agree Maggie.

hopefuly they can get some tested before lumping them together ,I don't know how they will get on in close quarters on limited time out. as some are very solitary souls and some may refuse if they cant take their dogs....

and now they may release some from prisons early,,,,,,,,where are they going to go.?

Allan

Allan Report 27 Mar 2020 20:58

Many have always opted out of Society by choice.

I had a great uncle, who, though the rest of his family conformed to the family norms, decided to become a 'gentleman of the road'

There may have been issues that I wasn't aware of, but these were never mentioned in the various family conversations regarding this uncle.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Mar 2020 21:25

The ex and I lived in a tent for 6 months, and were 'officially' homeless.
However, we knew, once they'd finished the accommodation for oil workers at Sullom Voe (this was in Shetland), we would find somewhere to live.
We were both working, and, in those days the deposit for renting somewhere was, at the most, a month's rent, not, like it is now, the equivalent of a deposit on a house!

We also had no 'problems' - it was choice.
In fact none of the others living on the campsite waiting for somewhere live had 'problems' either. But then, we had hope, money (albeit not much), and alternatives

However, I've known 7 homeless people - 6 from primary school, one from secondary school (I was working in the schools, they were pupils). 6 males and 1 female.
I say 'known', as at least two have died.
When I see them, I stop and chat, maybe offer them a roll up.
The female (J) has a flat - but isn't allowed to let anyone else stay there.
One of her brothers stayed (illegally) once - and died of a drug overdose.
I think J still has the flat, though - but during the day, she's with her 'mates' - the homeless.

They all had/have problems (drink/drugs/abuse ), yet despite all of them knowing where I live, none of them have turned up wanting to move in!

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Mar 2020 14:31

'Dying on the Streets' - was a BBC Radio 4 programme under the general heading of 'File on 4' broadcast on 13.02.18.

It's still available on computer - the main topic concerned an elderly chap living rough on the streets with life-threatening health problems, not helped by his alcohol intake.

A very sad & a disturbing story of poor safety & medical care by various authorities.