General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Here's a long shot.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Apr 2020 11:59

There is a bloke doing some sort of project about the war and he wants to know about evacuees.

I know there was one from Tooting in the village but they are largely forgotten here.

Don't suppose any of you know of anybody who was sent to the Chichester area as an evacuee do you?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Apr 2020 12:29

Not Chichester but I was sent to Kent from London with my older brother and sister
I was 2 years and 5 months and stayed in touch with my foster parents up till their deaths and with their daughter born 1949 who sadly passed away just over a year ago

Was also re evacuated to Birmingham c1944 and came home finally in jan 1946

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Apr 2020 12:53

Thanks Shirley.

He is looking specifically for evacuees to Sidlesham. I know there were some but they are all but forgotten Not surprising really, the war ended 75 years ago.

It is a shame some local historian has not thought to take down your reminiscences..So precious and will be lost with you

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Apr 2020 12:55

I've no knowledge about evacuees to that village, but there are several personal recollections for that general area mentioned on line

eg.

http://www2.westsussex.gov.uk/learning-resources/LR/learning/learning_resources/wartime_west_sussex_1939-45/memories/memories_by_theme/evacuees.html

Are there any school photos lurking in villagers homes?
These might stir a few memories.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Apr 2020 13:49

Have you seen this?

http://sidleshamheritagetrail.co.uk/trail

Initially, not evacuees - but later?

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Apr 2020 14:33

Thanks Gwyn, I will have a shufty at those.

Oh yes, Maggie, i know all about that one, in so many ways!