General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

3 year olds woes!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Apr 2020 12:05

Has anyone any suggestions on this. Our little Granddaughter who will be four in June, is having real trouble with the lockdown. Being an only child she doesn't have any company except Mum and Dad. (Both of whom are excellent at home schooling her and thinking up entertainment and games.) She is not bored but is lonely. Normally once a week she is looked after by our daughter, her nanny, and she is really missing her. They only live 5 minutes away from each other. she is very much a child who likes to hug so, even if they take her to chat to nanny across the garden she can't understand why Nanny can't give her a hug. Just how do you explain this to a three year old? especially when there is no idea of how long it will go on.

Barbra

Barbra Report 25 Apr 2020 12:13

Aw Ann it must be very hard for your Grandaghter .plenty of hugs from Mummy say Nanny sent them tell her That when it's over Nanny will give her big (((((( HUGS)))))) not safe to meet her just yet .Bless her :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Apr 2020 12:17

The main thing you tell her is that Nanny really loves her and wants to hug her as much as she wants a hug but nobody is allowed to hug anybody who is not their mummy or daddy at the moment.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Apr 2020 12:37

Reassurance that Nanny is still there and wanting hugs will help, but in the meantime could she blow bubbles of kisses to send to Nanny?

A little kiss sound, then a gentle blow of bubbles should take her love across the short distance to her grandmother.

If Nanny was primed to watch out for them perhaps this would help your little one.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Apr 2020 12:43

Yes I think she knows Nanny loves her she is very bright but the concept of not being able to say e.g. 'it is only for x number of days' is what she is finding hard. I can understand that. she is not being naughty but not sleeping well etc. I am sure they pick up on how the adults are worried. It is not the news on TV as they don't have TV.

And Barbra she is hugging Mummy and daddy all the time (however that is fairly normal for her) but a couple of days ago she rushed over and hugged a neighbour.

It will pass but I wondered if there was anything I am missing.

Bubbles are a good idea Gwyn.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 25 Apr 2020 12:51

A cushion with Nan's photo on. There are online sites that offer items like this. Not sure how long they take to print and deliver though .

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 25 Apr 2020 12:58

You beat me to it JustGinnie.

Perhaps a pillow with a jumper, top etc nelonging to her nanny that she would recognise.
Still something to hug and quite easy to arrange.
in turn nanny could have something of hers too. Something that your great-grand-daughter has picked out.
If they have a technology, a photo of nanny cuddling her special thing, and of her cuddling her nanny cushion.

Not the same as actual cuddles, i know, but every little thing helps.

Barbra

Barbra Report 25 Apr 2020 13:07

ANN FLY knits items she is good Teddy love from Nanny or PJ case Barbara :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Apr 2020 13:31

Thanks for the suggestions. I have suggested a Teddy but she would have to get it. She is shielded so can't go out and lives in the LD, us in gloucestershire. and we are in as well. so can't get to post but See if anything comes up in a couple of days. maybe have more idea of length of time.

Barbra

Barbra Report 25 Apr 2020 13:59

ANN you can buy cards on line they download photos for you maybe another sugestion goes straight to Granddaghter.s address

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Apr 2020 14:32

Could they phone at bedtime and all blow extravagant goodnight kisses to each other.

Have a nightly competition to blow the best ones. This would give her something to look forward to and it would be especially for her.

Island

Island Report 25 Apr 2020 14:42

Playing devils advocate...….
Young children are quite resilient. Is the weekly look at nanny for nannys benefit or the childs? Ok, I hear, 'both' but it does seem rather cruel to put the child through this upset of seeing nanny in the flesh but no hug. Could the child not have face time or similar before bed or at a set time?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Apr 2020 15:55

It is mainly for Inara daughter would survive. She doesn’t go there often only when Mummy is taking things to our daughter who is shielded. Yes they are resilient but none of us have been through this before let alone three year olds so who know what sort of impression it is making on little minds.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 25 Apr 2020 16:17

AnnG what about Nanny blowing some bubbles across the gate to Inara and telling her she has to catch them as they are nanny's hugs in a bubble ,you can get those little cheap bubble blowers with a battery so there nothing near and from the mouth to get passed on ,children love bubbles .
And Inara could blow bubbles to nanny too so the bubbles meet .

Edit ,I've just seen bubbles have already been suggested.

Von

Von Report 25 Apr 2020 16:43

Do they face time Ann?

It's a really good way to communicate especially for little ones. May be she could even communicate with a friend this way.

It's very difficult for little ones at this time. I know she is not alone as I have a friend whose little one can't understand why she can't play with her cousins, something she did nearly every day before this.

I think bubbles are a great idea and sending treats through the post or having them delivered helps.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Apr 2020 09:29

It is especially hard for her I think as it is only a few months since they moved up to the north lake district from the south and she left all her little friends behind then. Daughter also moved up there which is how they live close. Daughter is more like a second Mum as until she went to pre-school she had her one or two days a week right from about 6 months old.

Mandy, there is no gate at daughters it is all open plan so if they get out of the car she can run in (as 3 year olds do). If she sees Nanny nothing less than a hug will do.

I have passed on ideas to daughter so thanks.