General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spuds

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Apr 2020 12:14

I always buy a sack of spuds from the farm gate and am running out but am not able to get there to buy any more.They come in half-hundredweight sacks so I was not going to ask my shopping lady to get them.

One of the old biddies has an enormous grandson who comes to her a couple of times a week so I asked her if he would kindly pick one up for me.

We agreed that he should leave it by the gate for us to bring in rather than have him carry it up the path.

She rang to say he was on his way so could I open the window so he knew the house. Fine he turned up,tooted and out stepped his tiny, tiny wife, round the back of the van, sack on her shoulder and straight up the path to the front door-step.

You know when you see those fils of tiny ants carrying enormous bit of leaf on their backs?

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 25 Apr 2020 12:50

Bless her Sharron. Maybe she is a weightlifter in "normal" times. Hope big grandson is proud of his extra-strong wife.

:-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Apr 2020 13:00

So we know who does the heavy work in their house.

Reminds me of a TV programme some years ago ( Was it called Potter ?)

A long- suffering wife was busy repointing a building.
A visitor asked her husband if she knew how to do that work.

"Well, she can ice a cake" was the reply, so she was therefore deemed to be up to that sort of maintenance too.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 25 Apr 2020 13:22

Thought you had a car for shopping.

You could get the sack of spuds yourself.

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Apr 2020 13:24

We do under normal cicumstances but we are on lockdown and not supposed to go out until June.

Sorry, Sue but what are you implying?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Apr 2020 13:26

Appearances can be deceptive!
In my 'youff' when I was an ag lab, I humped half - hundred weight sacks of spuds around with no problem.
I weighed less than 7 stone - but it was all muscle! :-D :-D

Today - when I weigh half a hundredweight more - well, I can still do it - but I make funny noises, and it soon hits the deck :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 25 Apr 2020 13:34

Even if you are on lockdown you could still have gone in the car ,
It's not as if you are touching anyone.

Not implying owt.

I have a friend who is on lockdown with Diabetes,Heart problems,Dicky kidneys but she still goes out for her shopping.

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Apr 2020 13:40

We have been told, in a letter from our doctor, to not leave our home or garden.

I suggest that your friend may be being quite foolhardy. Those restrictions are in place for a purpose.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Apr 2020 13:43

Sue, I believe you have to pay for spuds - even if they're at the farm gate.
Not sure farm shops have non-contact payment facilities.

As for your friend - Is she on lockdown (like the whole country is), or is she in isolation?
There is a difference!

If she's in isolation and chooses to defy medical advice - well that's her choice.
Not everyone chooses to be foolhardy.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 25 Apr 2020 13:55

She ain't on Isolation just lockdown. but likes to do her own shopping .
With most farm shops at the farm gate there is usually a tin to put the money in .

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Apr 2020 14:04

That's the difference! :-D

Sharron is in isolation - therefore not allowed out!
No-one apart from Sharron knows how she pays for the spuds, so more speculation isn't helpful.
Also, money can have the virus on too.

I'm not in isolation, but tend not to go out - mainly because if I did, I'd get hell from my daughter, who works for the NHS and knows they're already full of idiots who have caught the virus because they have insisted on going out when they don't need to. :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Apr 2020 14:27

Maggie

A bit like the couple opposite. He has a job where he could do emergency call outs to peoples homes, yet now and again we see some older people there (parents?).

When I take the odd bit of shopping to a friends I put it down on the path. We might then a little natter but I would never dream of going inside

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Apr 2020 14:38

Apparently Belgian potato farmers have asked fellow Belgians to eat more of their gorgeous frites as they have too many potatoes in storage.

Normally I’d offer to help but I can’t get over there :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Apr 2020 14:38

When daughter or her friend deliver, they put the shopping on the doorstep, ring the bell - then run to the gate! :-D :-D

We have 'shouty' conversations!

Last week, my daughter wanted to see my living room (I'm decorating it,using paint I had in the cupboard :-\).
I went into the kitchen, while she stood just inside the front door :-D

It's a case of them not wanting to give the virus to me - so it's a caring distance <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Apr 2020 14:55

We would not want to be the people who catch the virus, need to go into hospital and use facilities that could better be used for somebody who caught the virus in a way that could not be prevented

Of course we would like to pop out and indulge ourselves but I like to think that we are being responsible, doing as we are told.

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Apr 2020 22:18

With due respect Sue your friend is being very foolish with all those health problems she should not be going anywhere. My mom loves to do her own shopping but she won't right now it's better safe than sorry. She felt quite the rebel the other day though ...she already had a card in the house so she wrote it and went to mail it for someone Birthday...well military operations have taken less planing :-) she was quite proud of herself checking the road ahead was clear...she got there and back without meeting anyone...it's literally a 2 min walk up the road to the box.....mind with her bad eyesight there could have been a street full of people jumping out of her way and she'd be none the wiser :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Apr 2020 05:54

My daughter, OH and son were going to go for a walk the other day ............ they live on a road that is usually busy with traffic, but not during this isolation period.

It still took them 15-20 minutes to get from about 6' up their driveway, across the sidewalk and the road to the other sidewalk.

I f there were no pedestrians on either sidewalk, there was a car coming from one direction or other. If the road was clear, there were pedestrians on either side.

None of them are sick or of high risk, they're just living under the same general isolation rules that we are under here in every part of Canada. They were in quarantine for 2 weeks after returning from Florida, and could not go out at all.