General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Traumatic day, need support!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 May 2020 11:06

Oh dear. I think the time ha come to put the two courgette plants, that have taken the trouble to grow, outside to harden off

Do you think I should take a chair out and sit by them, just so they are not alone? All night as well?

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 22 May 2020 11:35

Put a radio out there with music on so they think they have company ;-) :-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 May 2020 13:15

don't forget to talk to them, explain what they have to do and why they are better outside.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 May 2020 13:22

I praise them every morning for growing and chivvy the beans and other seeds that are behaving more like something I have planted.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 May 2020 21:47

At least there are two of them.
Surely they can keep each other company? :-D
(Unless they're like my cats) :-|

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 May 2020 06:47

Talk to them till they begin to talk back to you. :-D

Island

Island Report 23 May 2020 10:54

How are your dwarf runner beans coming on Sharron?
All 20 of my dwarf bean, not runner dwarf, seeds failed. Not pleased. :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 May 2020 12:44

I have four dwarf runners which the slugs are greatly enjoying.

No more of my beans have bothered and my mate's daughter has had all hers fail.

It is evidently not a good year for beans.

Island

Island Report 23 May 2020 13:07

My runner beans all germinated and are climbing their canes nicely - they were from previous years harvest as per.
Dwarf beans were from Suttons seeds. I should have saved some from last years harvest - they were from Premier Seeds Direct. I still have half of the Suttons so will split them and sow in different environments.
I also have two courgette plants to put in the ground.

Who was it on here who grew bell peppers from fresh seeds? I'm pleased to have raised some seedlings in the same way.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 May 2020 13:11

This is all a bit new to me, hence the childrens seeds, which have come today.

I know, I just know, that I will plant four spaghetti marrow seeds, they will all take and all fruit prolifically because you can't keep marrows past Christmas and nobody else like marrow!.

Island

Island Report 23 May 2020 13:32

I've read that childrens first venture into gardening is with a packet of radish seeds. Not when sown by me :-0

It's sods law if you sow the number of seeds equal to the number of plants you want they will fail, but if you double the amount and a few for luck, then you think 'well there's no point in holding back three'..... they will all germinate and become strong plants. I had 15 courgette plants in my first year! It got to the point where the neighbours were politely refusing them and the corner shop would only take so many :-0

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 May 2020 14:45

Our mate used to do the garden and, one year, we had a veritable plethora of marrows. I love marrow but not as my staple diet and very few other people seem to like them. I did serve marrow and ginger jam on a cheesecake at the village lunch.

Then there were the runner beans. Oh, so many runner beans!