General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there any way....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 May 2020 15:12

I can find out who put my mum in an orphanage and when please she was born 1923 in Newcastle. Thanks for any help you can give me.
PS I do have some information but not sure if it is true anymore.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 May 2020 15:16

Orphanage implies she lost one or both of her parents

If you know the orphanage they would have her records

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 May 2020 15:18

Do you know the name of the orphanage? Is it still in existence?

Did her parents split up or was she illegitimate?

Have you tried social services in Newcastle to see if they could point you in the right direction?

I would imagine that if the records from the orphanage are still in the archives somewhere then they should say who took her to the orphanage.

Sorry - not much help I know.

Kath. x

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 May 2020 15:45

It is complicated of course as these things are.
She was illegitimate, she said she grew up in Cullercoats, there was an orphanage there but not now, her mother was alive and went to Australia 1927/8 there is other information but it’s all hearsay so far.
I don’t have any proper, official information yet.
My head is in a spin at the moment :-(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 May 2020 17:26

https://twarchives.org.uk

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/.../history-and-heritage/local-studies-and-family-history

both have large depositories of archived records.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 May 2020 17:27

Sometimes there is a 100 year closure on records, as we found out when trying to locate school records for someone, but the advice you have been given would be a good start.
I would have thought that your mother's entry to whatever building she was placed would also record who placed her there.

Have you checked passenger lists for the mother's travel?

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 22 May 2020 18:27

If you have your mother's birth certificate it should have details of her mother. You may find relatives of hers in Oz, as I did looking at my M-in-L's history. I found them from this site and Ancestry. The helpers on this site are excellent.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 May 2020 19:01

Yes I have my mothers birth certificate and her mother left for Australia 1927/8 leaving mum here and I do have family there but they know nothing of my mum because she Is illegitimate and my grandmother didn’t say anything to anyone about her life here, in fact mums half brother didn’t know of my mum Until 2010 when he was age 68 and when I went there and told him.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 May 2020 20:10

Kay the first one you suggest is closed until further notice and the second one is forbidden, thank you anyway.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 May 2020 20:22

I think the top one Tyne &Wear will be your best bet but as all are closed for the time being its will be a waiting game for when they re-open.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 22 May 2020 21:19

St. Oswald's Orphanage for Girls was the one in Cullercoats....

http://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/homes/CULLE01.html

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/CullercoatsWS/?LMCL=dEGQOz

Hidden lives appear to have a lot of the records.….

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 May 2020 22:12

Eringobragh1916 I have taken a quick look at the two and will print it out tomorrow to have a proper look and maybe I will be able to email them thank you.