General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Haven’t heard of that before.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 10 Jun 2020 22:44

Looking at a recipe for Dundee cake it says to wrap and tie some brown paper around the outside of the tin to bake it, why, what does it do and do any of you do it?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Jun 2020 22:56

helps stops the sides from burning and going crispy as it takes a while to bake ,the same method is often used for home baked chirstmas cakes etc.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 10 Jun 2020 23:06

Ok thanks Kay, I’ll put that on my shopping list.x.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Jun 2020 23:18

I used to make a pad of tin foil and wrap it around the tin when cooking a Dundee cake

It stopped the edges going crispy as it cooked

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Jun 2020 10:17

I put newspaper around my fruit cakes. Tie around the middle with string.

I make the sides longer than the tin so I can place a top of newspaper on if it start to brown too much and will go dry.

I am always complimented how moist and lovely my fruit cakes are.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jun 2020 10:47

Yes I make lining paper a bit taller than the tin and also put a round of foil over it talking it off for the last twenty mins

My Dundee cake is always very moist too

Saying that haven’t made one for years

Used to make it for a Christmas cake as daughter hates marzipan and OH didn’t like icing

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Jun 2020 12:00

I haven't made a Christmas cake for ages, but I still have the brown paper - several thicknesses in a permanent circle - that I put round the tin. Like the others, I also put a layer of paper on top to stop it burning/overcooking. I also used to stand the tin on several layers of paper in the oven.

How to line the tin was part of the recipe and the first time it took nearly as long as mixing the cake!

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 11 Jun 2020 13:32

My Mum always tied newspaper round her fruit cake tines to stop burning the edges. She was the family expert, made all our wedding cakes etc. We don't eat them much now she's gone.