General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So tomorrow I am going out!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jun 2020 22:14

It was my step grandson 20th birthday yesterday

He is the lad I have posted about before with the learning difficulties who stays with me in the holidays cos he can’t stay on his own

Soo they are having a birthday barbecue for him tomorrow and I will be going
Two of my daughters friends wil be there to but we will be in the garden all sitting the two metres apart

First time for me in 11 weeks of isolation but all those attending have been self isolating too so hopefully all ok

Was a bit touch and go for me cos I have a gout flare up in my right big toe joint but it has eased and now have meds and can put the foot down fully

It’s the right foot so was a bit will it be ok as it’s the gas pedal foot and it’s an hour drive each way but think the drive will be good for me and the car!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Jun 2020 22:25

How lovely Shirley, I hope your Grandson has a great birthday and that you enjoy the Barbeque.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 12 Jun 2020 23:06

That’s lovely Shirley, I hope all goes well and you and your grandson have a good time.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jun 2020 23:19

Thanks

I will be going even though I have a panic now of going out

Daughter has been self isolating because as a cancer survivor her immune system is compromised.

Like me she has panicked about going out,she works from home anyway
Her hubby is a lorry driver has worked all through and has been very careful on hygiene and personal contacts.

He persuaded her on the bank holiday to take a walk along the Folkestone Leas and she enjoyed it
He still does the shop at Asda on a Friday after work so she doesn’t need to go out
When he gets home it bring the shopping in , wipe it down with wipes before putting away ,then his clothes in the wash and him in the shower

This week she did do a local Lldyl top up shop with Kieran with instructions he didn’t touch anything and then worried for a few days if she had picked up anything

Bee virus is such an unknown

The other two going are a couple she works with who have self isolated too :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Jun 2020 00:38

Enjoy the drive and the change of scenery, Shirley. It will be nice for you to see family and friends and celebrate Kieran's birthday. Hope the rain stays away.

Lizxx

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 13 Jun 2020 12:33

Shirley, as Boris said, as a person living on her own you are now free to 'join in another bubble' so enjoy the day and the freedom we shielding couples don't yet have - two visitors from the same household is one too many! (Don't ask, I've given up trying to understand him.)

Do make the most of it as there may be some idiots whose behaviour will cause this rule to be rescinded.

Maddie

Maddie Report 13 Jun 2020 13:31

have a really good time and i hope you enjoy your time with your family, im afraid joylouise is right

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Jun 2020 20:09

Was it an enjoyable if emotional day for you Shirley?
I hope it was xx.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jun 2020 20:38

Just got home

Was a lovely afternoon with daughter and son in law and Kieran and her two workmates who are a couple

We sat in the garden all safe distancing and enjoyed a barbecue lunch and later a piece of birthday cake

Daughter was tearful when I was leaving and did rush over to me and give me a big tight hug . She said I know I shouldn’t but I have missed you mum .

She works from home and is self isolating with Kieran ,son in law is away all week on the road but is very conscience of distancing and hand washing and constantly uses antibacterial wipes

So it was my first real venture out in 11 weeks and I enjoyed being out in the big wide world again even though it was with a bit of trepidation

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Jun 2020 20:42

How lovely to spend time with your family.
I'm sure Keiran loved being able to celebrate his birthday with you.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jun 2020 21:07

I'm so glad that you made the effort, and that it was such a lovely day.

Will you be able to go again and again?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jun 2020 21:38

Sylvia
Maybe. I did say jokingly I will be down next weekend

Daughter is struggling with Kieran She has to log on and work but he needs so much attention so she has to tell him you need to sort it yourself

Maybe soon I can ease the pressure off her and he can stay with me so give her a break

I do know how difficult it is dealing with him day to day because he needs constant attention .He will never be able to live on his own

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Jun 2020 22:55

ooo you have my sympathy about the gout, I had a year or two of suffering, but the meds I'm on now seem to be working..

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jun 2020 00:54

I also know what Shirley is going through ...... I've got a flare-up of gout, in my right toe joint!

Unfortunately, I can't take any of the really strong drugs, so have to make do with Tylenol 3 (= paracetamol with 30 mg codeine), plus rest, ice packs and making sure no pressure is put on the joint from shoes, or bed clothes. I haven't been able to walk on it properly since last Wednesday. I don't drive!

It's about the 4th time I've had a flare-up since the first really bad bout around 10 or so years ago. Bloomin. nuisance.

Some internet friends are jokingly suggesting that taking some Madeira might help ;-) :-D

I'm so glad that it didn't stop Shirley driving to see her family.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Jun 2020 09:53

Shirley, if I read the rules rightly I believe a single visitor can stay overnight.

If your daughter has a room for you and you are happy about staying, perhaps you can go there on a Friday or Sunday and stay overnight. You could then entertain your grandson while she can work without distraction.

I'm not trying to interfere, it's just a thought if the rules are as I believe.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jun 2020 10:21

Joy

They don’t have a spare bedroom so it wouldn’t be possible to stay over

Their small bedroom they have as a study because they both have computers

Daughter often works from home too apart from the lockdown

In the past I have slept on a blow up bed in Kieran’s bedroom but he is too old for me to do it now