General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hard decision.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Jun 2020 16:11

When we went to Africa in 2002, I took comfortable clothes, including a pair of black jersey trousers with elastic waist.

Finally, there is no more hope for them, the waist is totally gone so I have had to make a very hard decision.

Yes, they are being cut up into little strips to go in a rag rug with my old drawers!

I'm not really mean, am i?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Jun 2020 16:52

Of course not Sharron, just 'careful' like me ;-) :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jun 2020 16:52

All sorts of clothes and sheets etc were cut up or torn into pieces when mum got the bug of rag mat making

Myself and elder sister helped too in making bedside rugs that were very gratefully used on the Lino in the bedrooms

Didn’t help with the ice on the Inside of the windows in the unheated bedrooms in the big Victorian house we lived in but getting out of bed was considerably nicer

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jun 2020 16:53

Sharron, it's people like you who will be the salvation of this planet! <3 :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Jun 2020 17:01

Don't rely on that, Maggie.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Jun 2020 17:08

Not mean Sharron, economical is more like it.
When we buy sausages I wrap them singularly in foil that has been used before but washed, hubby reckons I mean too, but I’m not either.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jun 2020 17:57

ZZzzz ............... we had a friend who earned a good income though they had not been wealthy when she was young.

She used to wash foil and re-use it for cooking, and repeat until it was literally no more use!

We cook roast in foil, wash well, then re-use in the grill pan. It eventually gets re-cycled.

So, not mean, just economical.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Jun 2020 18:04

Ah, yes, sausages.

Last week, I used four Quorn sausages to make a sausage casserole with a tin of chopped tomatoes, tin of borlotti beans, couple of carrots, onion, swede, bit of parsnip and a couple of carrots plus the usual green Oxios and a bit of paprika.

OH had two portions so that was three. There was enough to make half of it, the big bits, into a vege suet pudding, two portions but still half left, and the other half I made into soup.That was two more portions.
Oh yes, I know how to flash the cash alright!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Jun 2020 18:08

When we married in 1978 we were given two rag rugs that had been made in the 40s ish, they are very hard wearing and still in use now.

It was before the throw away generation were born.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jun 2020 19:26

I can remember my grandmother making rag rugs. There was always one in front of the big black-leaded fire and oven where she used to do her cooking. It even had the high mantelpiece above with the green edging.

They'd lived in that house since before 1911.

At least one rag rug was still in the house the last time we visited my uncle there some time in the 1980s ....... he was disabled by managed to live on his own with help of his older brother and sis-i-l, plus social services.

He died around 1990, and I think everything was thrown out .............. I know that his sis-in-law (my aunt) threw out any and all paperwork, photos, etc belonging to "that family", without contacting myself or my dead brother's children to see if we wanted anything. :-(