General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone Knowledgeable on copyrights?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 1 Jul 2020 12:01

I have a newspaper cutting from 1978 and wonder if it is covered by copyright, I don’t ant to end up in prison. Lol.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 1 Jul 2020 12:07

only if you re publish it without giving the proper credits, methinks

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 1 Jul 2020 12:24

When I worked, I used to ask the newspaper and photographer for permission. It was always given as long as I was not making money from it and as long as I credited them, as Bob writes.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 1 Jul 2020 17:40

We reproduce articles on our sites and always mention the author and publisher.

To date only had one author complaining about intellectual property so the article was removed.

Most authors are pleased to have their work shared. Newspapers are far less interested due to all the media available online.

Sue