General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing baptismal records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron

Ron Report 6 Jul 2020 18:44

I am trying to find two baptismal records. I have found records of the death and poss marriage of one and the death of the others spouse. I need to link the two to confirm the possible( at present) link between the two

I have been through the Essex records on the FreeReg site . Would it beworth my while to visdit ( when allowed) to check them physically? or are there any other sites that may have this info?i am so near yet miles from linking the two

Any advice welcome

Thsnks

Kense

Kense Report 6 Jul 2020 20:19

You can buy a subscription to view the parish record images on line, ( £20 for 24 hours, £30 for a week). You need to check that the records you need exist before you buy a sub.

https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk/

Ron

Ron Report 6 Jul 2020 21:01

That is the big question, I could be throwing 30.00 up the wall . How good is Freereg? it is rather puxzzling that both baptisms are not shown, yet the marriages are!

Kense

Kense Report 6 Jul 2020 21:25

I don't know how far Freereg has got with transcriptions but they have probably only just scratched the surface. I expect they have started on a handful of parishes and are doing marriages first for the one you are interested in.

If you register with the site I referenced, you can then search their list of parishes to find if they hold baptisms for that parish in the period you are interested in. If you have many ancestors from Essex then a longer subscription can be worthwhile. Also Ancestry has Essex parishes so if you want you can ask on here if someone will do a look up for you.

Ron

Ron Report 7 Jul 2020 09:25

Kense

Thanks. Will put up another enquiry If there is sufficient coverage i will join!!

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 7 Jul 2020 09:49

Essex Record Office details for searching Parish Records.

https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk/subscriptionservice.aspx

Subscription prices

Subscriptions are available for various periods between 1 day and 1 year

1 day (24 hours) - £20.00
1 week (7 days) - £30.00
1 month (30 days) - £40.00
6 months (182 days) - £70.00
1 year (365 days) - £95.00

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Jul 2020 10:17

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1385457?jump=1385457

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Jul 2020 10:40

Ron,
Sometimes we have to accept that there may be no baptism record.

I have searched for years to pinpoint the parents of a direct ancestor born c. 1812.
Parish registers have been searched in the relevant record office and I have a family 'waiting in the wings' to attach Henry to, if his parents are the people I think they are BUT..I have no proof and I won't link them until I'm sure.
I have searched surrounding parishes to were he claims to have been born and even have a convenient gap for him in the baptisms of other children of a particular married couple, but no Henry is there.

Sometimes one might find a late baptism, eg. before starting new employment or maybe before marriage, so it is worth checking later years too.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 7 Jul 2020 11:21

Ron,
I echo what Gwyn has said. Some people weren’t baptised at all, others were baptised as older children or adults. Your man could have been baptised at any time between his birth and his death.

Strangely enough I had an instance of this only yesterday. I was trying to confirm the probable parents of a lady born between 1795 and 1800. I knew who she had married and that she had been widowed and lived with a nephew but needed to tie her in with the couple I felt sure were her parents. I couldn’t find a record of baptism until I came across it almost by accident. I had not seen it earlier because she was already married and the record was in her married name. Luckily for me it gave the usual information about parents and father’s occupation, as well as her husband’s name.

So you may need to widen your search. At least with a man you won’t have to cope with a change of name.

Good luck.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Jul 2020 11:58

I had trouble finding all the baptism of a family. It was only when the burial of one of the children was found in the neighbouring parish that I found the baptisms.

It is worth checking out the history of the parish church, I have one being repaired.rebuilt and another under construction. Also bear in mind that the family might have gone to the parish the vicar was using any particular Sunday.