General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Strange

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Jul 2020 13:21

We have worked for mystery shopping companies and have had mail drops here ad been a dead letter box on occasion so I have thought nothing of having received a few letters addressed to Richard Jarman from tie to time.

This morning, the telephone rang and it was a old lady asking for Richard Jarman.It seems he is advertizing himself in the parish magazine of the next village as a handyman and using my telephone number.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jul 2020 14:08

Cheeky so and so. You need to have it mentioned in the parish magazine as well as telling him to stop.

It used to be really annoying to have a number one digit away from the local taxi. Luckily it didn't happen much. But now we are one digit away from the local volunteers. The callers are usually elderly - the last one didn't understand that her second call had gone to answer phone. I sometimes have to return the calls left on the answer phone as some are heartbreaking.

What did you do with his letters?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Jul 2020 14:14

And your address Sharron? I find that a bit strange. If you dont know him personally, then how does he know your address and tel number?

Do you know him at all from anywhere in the past etc..?

Florence in the hebrides

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Jul 2020 14:16

Did the magazine printers get it wrong?
Maybe not if you've had mail too.

We had a number very similar to a local coach company.
I was not pleased to get a call one morning before 6 a.m asking what time and where the coach was picking up travellers for a 'Turkey and Tinsel' trip.
The local paper had reversed 2 digits within the company's number, in their latest print and we got their calls for a while.

Caroline

Caroline Report 11 Jul 2020 17:54

Any jobs you and OH can tackle for a little spending money? :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Jul 2020 18:10

I am one digit away from the local scrapyard too.

As for my address, it is unique.

Allan

Allan Report 11 Jul 2020 22:19

It doesn't happen now as he is retired, but a few years ago I was constantly getting calls from various motor suppliers. A local speedway driver happens to share the same name with me, even down to the double L

Tawny

Tawny Report 12 Jul 2020 05:07

The last two digits of my mother in laws phone number used to be 66 and the local Chinese was 99 so they sometimes got calls asking for food.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Jul 2020 10:00

I wonder how much Sharron could charge to be his answering service?

A Lot, I would think ;-)