General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

English Heritage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Jul 2020 12:47

Have an offer on. Is anyone a member and are there plenty of places to visit mainly in the counties of the South West, Midlands and Hampshire and Cumbria?

We are NT members but NT doesn't cover castles.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 12 Jul 2020 13:34

try this

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/reopening

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Jul 2020 14:01

OH and I were members and used this quite a bit when our children were young.
They particularly enjoyed themed days, eg. Romans at Dover Castle and have fond memories of grinding corn between two large stones.
You can take up to 6 children, ( I think) in your family group free if they are under 19.

You do still have to pay a reduced price for some special events eg. Battle of Hastings re enactment.

My daughter and I now have joint membership and use this mainly in Hampshire and Kent.
Admission prices are quite high, so it doesn't take long to cover your membership fee.
It depends how often you are likely to use it.
From here, I once got on a bus, on my own just to see an amazing sandcastle exhibit at Dover Castle. If you have membership, it doesn't matter how long you stay and most places have lovely outdoor space to stroll.

We enjoyed a day out at Tintagel, in 2018 and hope to visit again now that they have installed a new bridge access.

Membership with E H also has links to CADW in Wales, so we have had free entrance there too.
There are also some more localised sites, not run by E H. but which have reduced price entry if you have Heritage membership.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Jul 2020 15:48

Thanks Gwyn That is helpful. Where in Hampshire?

Thanks Pat.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Jul 2020 15:53

Mostly in Portchester, but have been to Silchester too.

http://www.insidehampshire.co.uk/explore-hampshire/english-heritage/

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Jul 2020 20:34

Hi Ann, we have been members for years and we go loads of interesting places all over the country, It is well worth the yearly fee

Dermot

Dermot Report 12 Jul 2020 21:27

If we don't change our attitude, there will be a dearth of statues in the UK to admire & reflect.

Why do silent statues antagonise so many?