General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I had a wonderful idea!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Sep 2020 13:12

My grand daughter, about 3 months ago, got a Romanian rescue dog she has named 'Nikita', but who is known by both my daughter and I as 'Large Marge'.
The reason for her nickname, is because she has grown so quickly.
Due to a chance meeting with someone with a similar looking dog, it transpires Marge is actually a Carpathian Sheepdog, not common anywhere! (apart from, it seems, remote Hampshire villages)
The Latin name for this breed is Canis lupus familiaris. Lupus is Latin for wolf - and yes, that describes her looks. :-)

I did some research. They're very strong dogs, and as grand daughter (B) had the sense not to go to University this year, but took up the offer of a local pub owner to become a trainee manager at a dog friendly pub, but she also occasionally works at another pub he owns, (also dog friendly) - both are a 15 minute walk from her home, I had a brainwave - train Marge to pull a cart - a cart that B can sit on! :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Sep 2020 14:02

And why not, indeed?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Sep 2020 14:02

If I see them in the Hampshire lanes, I will know who it is!

Will you be borrowing Marge for any forays in the New Forest?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Sep 2020 14:35

Probably won't be taking her out for a while, Gwyn.
Marge is less than a year old, very strong, and B is determined she learns her 'Ps and Qs', and who's boss, before us 'oldies' spoil her :-D
Having said that, it would be good for her to meet roaming livestock, but I'd prefer not to be in charge of introducing a large dog (who doesn't quite know her own strength) to roaming wildlife that (a) has a strong herding instinct, and (b) whose forebears attacked wolves, bears and lions :-S

She really is a softie, though. She loves taking up most of the sofa while one of B's younger brothers reads to her <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Sep 2020 14:52

Do they read to her in Romanian?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Sep 2020 15:29

:-D :-D :-D :-D
No. She understands English :-D :-D