General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Had to chuck tea away.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Sep 2020 18:10

How silly can anybody be?

You know I have had to have a new element in my cooker? I kow as well as does everybody else, that electric elements have to burn off the stuff that protects them from something and that it makes stinking smoke.

Didn't stop me putting the shepherd's pie in the oven though did it?

Bleh!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Sep 2020 18:27

Have to admit, I've never had an electric oven, as an adult.

Shouldn't you (in an ideal world) 'pre-heat' the oven before putting food in?
That way, you would have smelt the pong before putting in your pie! :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Sep 2020 18:37

It is a fan oven so it is not as essential to pre-heat it.

I have never used a gas stove. You have to understand that we in the outback only get things if there is some left over so there is a gas main along the main road but I am in the nether regions of the village so we are lucky to get electricity even.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Sep 2020 18:53

We have a gas cylinder in the garden because the council wouldn’t bring mains gas into the road we live in.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Sep 2020 19:11

I too had a gas cooker when we weren't on the mains - it was powered by a calor gas cylinder, that sat in a cupboard next to the cooker :-D

I've certainly never had a fan assisted oven.

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Sep 2020 19:46

But I am a flash poser!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Sep 2020 19:47

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

-with a ruined shepherds pie!

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 29 Sep 2020 09:16

I have a lovely 40 year old Rayburn which runs off gas cylinders, as does our central heating.. We still have no mains gas in our village despite a lot of new houses being built in the last few years - and we're only a couple of miles from the local Crem which obviously uses gas.
Wouldn't be without my Rayburn tho as it keeps the kitchen nice and warm and is great for drying things off too. The only problem is having to remember to order cylinders well in advance esp if the weather is bad.

Dermot

Dermot Report 1 Oct 2020 07:23

The Boston Tea party.

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Oct 2020 11:12

What about the Boston Tea Party, Dermot?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Oct 2020 11:16

He is either referring to the Americans chucking away tea OR he is offering to make a Boston Cream Pie for the evening tea party mentioned on another thread.

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Oct 2020 12:19

I didn't chuck the shepherds pie away as a political gesture.

It was horrible!

Do you think I would like a Boston Cream Pie? I don't like Banoffi Pie.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Oct 2020 12:27

No idea - never had one.

I was a bit disappointed when I looked at the recipe - the cream is mixed with custard.
I want my cream cake to Be a cream cake.

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Oct 2020 13:05

I had a look too and I think I might like it.

I have quite a severe custard addiction you see.

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Oct 2020 15:15

Boston Cream pies are more cream/custard mix than anything else and chocolate on the top not for the faint-hearted.

Sorry to hear about the new stove smell not sure how you could have eaten the shepherds' pie though but waste not want not....

Von

Von Report 1 Oct 2020 17:42

Sharron if it’s any consolation I did the same with a new gas ovenj :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Oct 2020 18:49

Do they stink at first as well?

Von

Von Report 1 Oct 2020 19:20

Yes you have to have them on for a while to burn off the impurities. It’s not about the

gas but the coatings on the sides etc.

I’ve got two ovens and have been known to light one and put the food in the other. I

can tell you it takes a long time to cook ;-) ;-) ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Oct 2020 19:24

Done that.