General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Profit :-D

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 22 Oct 2021 23:08

As part of the tidy up of the house and garden ready for the now, temporarily aborted move, we advertised some plants for sale.

At least the plants we wanted rid off DID sell, unlike the house :-|

I had grown from seed a Cycad (Sago Palm) and over the last few years it has had numerous 'pups' which we have potted on.

We sold the parent plant, which is now over thirty years old and three of the larger daughter plants for $240.00.

We know that we could have asked for more than double that and probably would have achieved that, but we just wanted them out of the way.

We also threw in a few fresh cuttings of a twenty year old frangipani for good measure :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Oct 2021 00:02

Frangipani - a word I haven't heard for years!

I looked it up and realised, the word I hadn't heard for years had nothing to do with plants, it was probably mother mispronouncing Frangipane! :-(

Allan

Allan Report 23 Oct 2021 00:09

The frangipani tree is beautiful and very easy to propagate. Lovely flowers and the scent is out of this world :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Oct 2021 00:13

Not sure it would grow outside in the UK - and the sap isn't too healthy!

Allan

Allan Report 23 Oct 2021 00:23

The beauty of it is, Maggie, is that when taking cuttings there is no need to touch the sap, just cut a piece, or pieces, off and then leave them somewhere to dry out.

To replant you just put them in a pot with some potting mix and then pot them on as required, or just shove them straight into the ground :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 23 Oct 2021 07:38

frangipani trees here as well - wonderful smell from the flowers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumeria

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Oct 2021 11:26

Fantastic, Allan, you did well!

I remenber visiting friends in Queensland and both had them in their gardens. One, who had gone to school with my OH, also brought in a tree frog from the garden. The kids were fascinated, it looked almost plastic-like.

We'd taken four or five weeks off work and meandered up the coast through New South in our campervan, visiting places as we went. On a visit to an old settlers' graveyard in Port Macquarie we stopped in our tracks when a huge (must have just eaten) and long python slithered along in front of us and disappeared into one of the tombs. Camping on Bribie Island we saw a huge number of jellyfish resting on the sands during the day.

We returned home using inland roads with a side visit for a couple of days in Canberra - when we toured the old Parliament building,

The thing I best liked about our return journey was the brilliant colour of jacarandas as we headed south.

I think the kids enjoyed it (if not only for having the last two weeks of the school year off!).

I hope your new home will be everything you wished for and more and the sale of your old one and purchase of your new one both go swimmingly and you and your OH have many happy years there together. <3

Allan

Allan Report 23 Oct 2021 11:46

Oh dear, Joy, you obviously missed my post of the other day regarding the sale of our house :-(

The pre-arranged finance that the couple were supposed to have had was a figment of their imagination. They were knocked back by the Bank, so everything is now in Limbo.

I suspect that Christmas and the New Year will be spent where we have spent them for the last twenty odd years....here!

It was nice while it lasted :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Oct 2021 12:02

Oh, sorry, Allan, I have missed a few days on the boards.

No one needs people like that but I hope you enjoy Christmas wherever you spend it and that a sale is in the pipeline that you know nothing about yet! :-D