General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leaving a will.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 10 May 2022 18:15

Is it possible to leave a will but have it not go on the government probate site?

greyghost

greyghost Report 10 May 2022 18:19

Not all wills have to go to probate, but when they do - Amongst other things, google (lots on google) says -

People also ask
Are probate details public?

One common question asked of estate planning attorneys is how to obtain a copy of a deceased person's last will and testament or other probate court records. Because probate files are public court records that anyone can read, you should be able to obtain a copy of it any will that has been filed for probate.

Also -

In general, a will is a private document unless and until a grant of probate is issued. Once a grant of probate has been issued, a will becomes a public document and anyone can apply to have a copy.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 May 2022 00:09

If you mean this site:-

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/

this is a beta site and I don't think it is complete yet (although I may be wrong).

Kath. x

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 11 May 2022 00:37

Also, check in the years following the death, as sometimes probate gets delayed a bit, if you are looking for a possible will.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 May 2022 09:55

not impressed with GR -a member off anf on for some years--but now experiencing--sorry error--and now time out--so fed up--have reported that i feel upset by this site which in past i had no problems with

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 May 2022 09:56

not impressed with GR -a member off anf on for some years--but now experiencing--sorry error--and now time out--so fed up--have reported that i feel upset by this site which in past i had no problems with :-( :-(