General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A whole can of worms.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Aug 2023 23:48

Has been opened up by me by telling someone the truth about a family story, probably went down like a lead balloon, truth hurts me thinks but I can't change it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Aug 2023 08:53

Oooh - can you tell? :-D

Have to admit, in our family (well, within my siblings and our children etc) we take
revelations of apparent 'scandal' as proof of our humanity.
After all,, no-one's perfect, and those who think they are, should take a long, hard look at themselves!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Aug 2023 10:30

So many of us must have teetered on the edge of that one.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Aug 2023 10:43

Did they need to be told ?

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 22 Aug 2023 12:21

I wondered the same as Gwyn. Early on in my research I learnt something about my Dad’s parents that I knew would really upset him and maybe upset his siblings too so I just didn’t tell them. I thought about it but nothing could be changed so I decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Aug 2023 14:10

My mum knew her parents married when Nan was pregnant with her

She always said she was born in 1908

When mum died my sister registered her death and made the funeral arrangements and her year of birth was 1909 on her coffin which I queried ?

Sister then said she lied to protect her mums name .and I was urm ok

At that time I hadn’t an interest in going back on family history , indeed when I did start I didn’t even know grans maiden name

Sooo as the family history opened I found she was born in 2 months early in nov 1909 her parents had married in aug 1909

So she went the wrong way in trying to cover tracks

Confused me for a long time
:-(

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Aug 2023 14:43

Gwen in Kent, they did ask so I let them know. :-)