General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scam warning

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Mar 2024 11:42

Just received a letter (genuine it transpires) from 'nextpay', confirming that my account has been successfully set up and a card would be sent shortly, with a credit limit of x amount.

I did not set up any account online with them, so phoned the fraud dept, who have removed and blocked any further actions etc. But here's the thing 'someone' set up an account using my name and address. I've checked out the reported scams online and in some cases goods have been sent out to a different address leaving the supposed card holder in debt.

If you do get this letter, don't bin it, go on the next site to confirm their contact details, phone and ask to be put through to the fraud department. They also advised me to check my credit file to make sure no other fraudulent accounts have been set up.

Whether the address was just plucked at random from the electoral roll for instance is impossible to know. I don't use apps by the way, so it is not phone related. But if you do, double and triple check that if you have banking on them (really just don't!) that it can't be accessed.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Mar 2024 11:52

Ty Rose for the info.
Shall keep my eyes peeled.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 15 Mar 2024 10:24

Good to have reminder about these 'scams' so we can aware it's easy to miss a letter sometimes just thinking it's junk mail.
Thanks Rose.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Mar 2024 13:10

You should probably inform your bank so they are aware of u usual payments.