General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sometimes.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Mar 2024 13:39

I just want to throw the whole house up the chimney but I can't because we don't have a fireplace any more, good job we don't really or there would be a fair amount going up there. :-D :-D.
How are you all getting on with your research?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Mar 2024 14:20

Afternoon Zzzz

I don't have a chimney either lol

I restarted my grandmothers family tree this week after not looking at it for a few years. managed to fill in some gaps I had, so good progress being made.

Are you working on any trees yourself?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Mar 2024 14:37

No fire place for me either ( I do miss not having one).

Relaease of information happens so frequently that leaving a gap of time before picking ones tree up again often works well. Especially if you foreget to check back now and again.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Mar 2024 14:57

I don't have a chimney either :-D :-D. My research is doing ok

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Mar 2024 15:16

Florence61, yes I am :-D, it all started with my illegitimate Mum, she never said much about her upbringing, she was put in an orphanage at age five and I have managed to put bits of info together with what little she did say and have a photo of the orphanage which when I showed it to her I got such an aggressive reaction I knew it was the one.
Her Mother then went to Australia and didn't come back for her. My Uncle in Australia had a photo of his Grandmother, his Mother and a child, he was never told that the child was his half sister until I did when he was age 68. I shan't say what he said but it wasn't pleasant lol.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 14 Mar 2024 18:12

I have a chimney :-D but have never thrown anything up it.
My research is slow but sure.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Mar 2024 18:54

Florence61, Another thing I put together was when my Mum was teaching me how to do ironing she said that when she was in the orphanage she was ironing something purple and panicked when she thought she had burnt it but she hadn't, when I was on a visit to Newcastle many years later I learnt that they used to do ironing for the church, their colours being purple. :-D