Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greaders review Jan/Feb 15 books

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Feb 2015 12:04

Please review any or all of the following

Getting even

And then either or both
Rosebush
Paying the piper

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Feb 2015 12:08

Greaders review getting even by Sarah Rayner

An ok book I suppose, an easy read for a rainy afternoon when suffering with a nasty cough and cold. Very light reading and quite a predictable plot. Advertising agency machinations. Orianna and Ivy long term workmates, one is promoted over the other who takes offence and sets about paying back the slight. Not sure I want to read any more by this author.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Feb 2015 12:11

review Rosebush by Michele Jaffe

I liked the sound of this book but it also looked a bit insignificant, i thought, maybe a light read. Well it wasn't a heavy read but I thought it was good.

A psychological sort of who dunnit? Or rather who tried to do it? I was at daughters with nothing much to do and managed to read it straight through in a couple of days. Well written, it sucked me in from the start, it was intriguing and a bit spooky and the sort of book that makes you want to finish it to find answers.

Probably not my usual reading material but I really enjoyed it. The characters were well written and first or last I didn't suss out the culprit. Everyone seemed possible. I did like the little side plot of the relationship Jane had with her Mum, sister, (loved Annie, sweet character) and Jo.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Feb 2015 12:14

I also read the following:
review Sophia’s secrets by Susanna Kearsley

I really enjoyed Sophia's Secrets, besides being a book told on two levels, an author who when she starts to write and chooses one of her Scottish ancestors as her heroine finds she is writing without thinking because she is being led by characters from the past. Set on the East Coast of Scotland it also covers a lot of Scottish history concerning the Jacobites and the Union (or not) with England, the uprising in 1708 and the Jacobites trying to bring James (V111 of Scotland 111 of England) back from France.

I knew very little of this period in history and found it very informative, well researched and interesting. I love the way SK weaves the current story of Carrie the present day author with Sophia the 18th century heroine. Beautifully told, two love stories, lovely descriptions of the East coast of Scotland and a little of the West coast.

All in all a really nice book and I am glad I read it. I shall continue to look out for more books by Susanna Kearsley she tells a good tale.

Mersey

Mersey Report 15 Feb 2015 18:45

Review for......

Rosebush - Michele Jaffe

This book told the story by alternating what had happened before and then after
of the main character the fun loving Jane. She goes to a party all jeered up and
ready for fun, only to wake up in hospital with severe injuries after being found in a
rosebush with what looks like a hit and run. She has no memory of the incident
at all........The book then widens as Jane receives many visitors at the hospital
and she suspects everyone around her, also looking back into her past regarding
her best friend's death.....

The alternating of the before and after somewhat annoyed me, not what I would
call an intriging book, but I did finish it at least :-S

Getting Even- Sarah Rayner

All revolves around characters at a hip London Ad Agency.. I actually find this book
quite hard to review, I just did not see any concept in it, no actual story....I would
never have picked this book up to read ....Dare I say a modern story of jealousy,
backstabbing and although the book does say twists and turns , it was very very predictable ......... :-(

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 15 Feb 2015 20:08

Getting Even

As Ann says quite light weight and predictable.
I was not taken with the two main characters, Orianna and Ivy but the story bounced along well, with some humorous moments.
I have read one of Claire Rayner's books set in the past (can't remember the title) which I enjoyed more.

Persephone

Persephone Report 16 Feb 2015 09:02

Rosebush..

First I thought to myself what am I doing going to the Teen Fiction for one of our books but yes it qualifies as one that we would read. After reading the prologue I immediately thought of the movie “The Heathers” that I took my 14 year old daughter to at the time.
1. It was a good quick read, loved the younger sister and the relationship between Jane and her mother and Joe.
2. Clever using the lip gloss as the hallucinatory drug, had not suspected that until well into the story.
3. Was very suspicious of the Bear as being a recording and skype device, so was onto that, however,
4. I went through suspecting David, Ollie, Scott, Kate and was even wary of Pete and Loretta at one stage but Langley was not someone that I suspected till well near when she was outed.

Persephone

Persephone Report 16 Feb 2015 09:04

Getting Even

Oh dear the dog eat dog enterprise of marketing/advertising lived up to its name in this one.
In some ways it was almost farcical the way Orianna suspected others before Ivy. But then Orianna shared all with Ivy and was blind to the fact that Ivy played her cards close to her chest and with good reason. The story was well written and very clever and Orianna was way too nice for the book to have not ended in her favour. I was a bit disappointed in the ending as Ivy ended up not quite getting the comeuppance that one would hope for her, she would go on to play and keep on playing the getting even game in the literary world.

I am with Pammy on enjoying Sarah Rayner's other book that we had on here.