Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Some difference.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Jan 2018 16:18

Just been tidying up my computer files and found a list of readers for Greaders in 2007 there were seventeen (17!!!). that took some organising then! :-) :-)

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 5 Jun 2018 18:22

Just seen this Ann. Don't use my computer as much now, and go on Genes Reunited even less frequently.

Still read quite a bit, but am rather slow since having my cataracts done and my vision "adjusted" Am now slightly long sighted, was previously very short sighted.
could however when short sighted read in bed, with book held very close to face, without wearing any glasses. Now need glasses to read, (anything) so can't read when about to nod off, in case I fall asleep and damage my specs.

About to have another "Procedure" on my eyes, hoping that reading will be a little easier then.

Enjoyed being a member of Greaders, and remember reading some really good books, as well as being inyroduced to some new authors.

Have recently seen the film "The Guersey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" which I enjoyed. Wouldn't have gone if I hadn't already read the book via Greaders.

My sister has also recently seen "Girl on a Train" another Greaders book, she said that it was far too violent. I had though enjoyed the book. I suppose that it is easier to hurriedly scan through violence on a printed page, than it is to avoid it on a film at the cinema (which comes with sound effects).

Thank you for all the trouble you went to "back in the day" Your hard work was valued.

:-) :-) :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2019 17:06

A bit late Tess but I have only just seen this. Hope you are still able to read after having the second procedure on your eyes. I wonder where everyone else is who used to read with us. I still read a lot, never without either a book or my kindle. And still have a book case in this office with over two shelves full of books waiting to be read!! Must stop buying books.

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 30 Jul 2021 18:15

Those were the days. Back then I was a Bibliomaniac but I came across this quote in an article "Bibliomania has a dark past, documented more as a pseudo-illness that inspired real fear than a harmless knack for acquiring books we won’t have time to read. “Some collectors spent their entire fortunes to build their personal libraries,” Lauren Young wrote for Atlas Obscura. “While it was never medically classified, people in the 1800s truly feared bibliomania.”

Dee :-)