Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has the sewing bee inspired anyone?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hotchoc

hotchoc Report 28 May 2020 19:12

I have sewn in the past, but its been many years, however i am considering buying a sewing machine. But now there seems to be computerised ones as well as the mechanical - what are your thoughts on this?
Are the computerised ones worth their money and are they easy to understand?
Thanks
<3

Island

Island Report 29 May 2020 23:51

It really depends on what you want to use it for. If you are planning fairly basic sewing i.e. garments and soft furnishings then a non computerised one would do the job. There is something to be said for good old fairly basic 'work horses'.
I almost sold my circa 1979 Frister Rossman in favour of a computerised Janome because the F/R doesn't do nice buttonholes but I'm glad I didn't. I found the Janome difficult to get used to, my main bugbear being that the casing is plastic(ugh) and none of it swings open for easy threading access whereas the F/R is an all metal casing which easily opens for threading and light bulb change. F/R stitches are basic - straight and zig-zag, some mechanical machines do a few fancy stitches but the world is your oyster as far as computerised machine stitches go. I do wonder what happens if a computerised machine loses it's memory.
I hope that helps :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 May 2020 00:56

I've got a Singer Sewing machine that OH bought for me for our first anniversary back in 1968. It was portable, bu we later bought a cabinet for it. It has lots of bells and whistles in the form of different sewing stitches, button holes, etc etc, some of which I never used.

I used it for many years, used to make my own clothes, and daughter used it lots to make own clothes before getting married and leaving home in 1999.

It now sits unused, but waiting

It was a great workhouse!

I wouldn't want a computerised one, too complicated for me.

Just as a side remark ....... my son-i-l taught computers in high school, and the sewing department's sewing machines were kept in HIS lab because they were all computerised and he knew more about programming than the Dom Sci teachers :-D

Island

Island Report 30 May 2020 09:56

My bottom line as an experienced stitcher would be metal casing over plastic fantastic. Bernina is the most recommended on a FB machine embroidery group I am on. I think vintage over all singing is the way to go.

hotchoc

hotchoc Report 30 May 2020 16:00

thank you for your comments - i suppose there are fors and against, like you say its what you want out of it.

Maria

Maria Report 1 Jun 2020 17:31

I just love sewing bee ?? I bought a sewing machine last year but still have to get a strong table preferably a collapsable one as space is limited. Currently finishing a beaded bonsai tree learnt from you tube. Have also made a waldorf doll by hand before I got my sowing machine, so next one will not take me as long hopefully. Just love hobbies which also include x stitch, needle felting. I now want to try making figurines using paverpol, looks good on you tube. All this takes my mind off work, a NHS worker.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Jun 2020 14:26

Hello Maria, it looks like your hobbies keep you busy and they are all so different and sound intriguing. Welcome to hobbies board

hotchoc

hotchoc Report 2 Jun 2020 19:40

Hobbies stop you from worrying, but that's great Maria!

Island

Island Report 5 Jun 2020 11:21

I don't watch Sewing Bee - 'coals to Newcastle' LOL

Does anyone follow stitch/art groups on FB?

Maureen

Maureen Report 30 Oct 2020 13:30

I'm making two 'Topsy Turvy' dolls for two of my grand children, (they are dolls that if you 'flip' the skirt over one dolls head, there is another doll underneath). I have two sewing machines, the Singer 99k is the one I still use most. It was bought for my mother, by my father when they got married in 1958. It was a hand machine then, so my father had a motor put onto it! It's still going strong! I'm also knitting a Stegosaurus for another grandchild and various jumpers, cardigans, hats and scarves. Busy, busy!! :-)

Annx

Annx Report 30 Oct 2020 20:22

I do needle felting too Maria! Not been doing it for long but it's quite addictive!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Oct 2020 22:16

Oh dear Maureen ...............

your comment about Topsy Turvy dolls brought back memories.

They were really big over here at one time, but usually of one type only.

We went to New Orleans in 1977/78, and those dolls were on sale as one of the major gift to take home.

Beautiful doll, bought one for my 3 year old daughter, she loved it.

I think she still has it, but hidden away now.

Why?

One doll had a white face and blonde hair, and the other had a black face, a red turban and a big white apron, ie the nanny.

Maureen

Maureen Report 12 Oct 2022 14:33

I have my mother's 99k Singer sewing machine. I used it to make children's clothes for my children and am about to start making for my grandchildren. Also do running repairs for the family and have saved a fortune over the years making curtains/quilt covers/seat covers and lots of other things.