Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

In search of family members

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melinda

Melinda Report 18 Apr 2018 03:51

I am currently trying to find any family that I may have in Scotland. My name is Melinda Mitchell and I am 39 yrs of age and I was born and raised in Ontario. My biological father is 100% from Scotland his name is Andrew Mitchell and he is between the ages of 60-65 yrs of age. When he was about 15 yrs old he immigrated to Ontario that's how 2 came into the picture he eventually met my mother and so on. He never left Ontario but I didnt grow knowing him. In fact I only know a few things. I have met with him maybe 10 times throughout my whole life. Well thats all about him. I do know that he had 2 brothers one named Ian and I think the other's name is Robert. I do know that one of the brothers was residing here in Ontario but he was killed by a train I believe. The rest of my Mitchell family all reside in Scotland that I know of. One more important detail is my grandfather Mitchell passed away within the last 10 yrs and I'm not sure if my grandmother Mitchell is still alive. I just want to know where I come from and meet my family that I deserve to know and I wanna learn more about my Scottish background. So if anyone can help me or leave me some sort of clue where to start looking that would be greatly appreciated. Ty and God Bless ? <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2018 08:21

Do you know grandfathers name

For Scottish BMD,s. you need Scotlands People website which isn't a subs site I,m afraid . You can do a free search but have to purchase units to look at the record

For the age of your father you would have to purchase his birth certificate through the site . It's not an open record you could just view online

Did he and your mum marry if so the cert should give his parents names

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Apr 2018 13:48

Unless you can pinpoint his age a bit more accurately, and possibly find out which town in Scotland he was born in, you may struggle, as Andrew Mitchell is a very common name.

Have you looked in search trees on here for possible connections?

If the brother was killed by a train, one would have thought there would be newspaper articles somewhere

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 19 Apr 2018 17:25

Melinda, I would start by getting a more detailed birth certificate than you probably have.

Hopefully, it would contain more info about your father. See here:

https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/eForms_faq/start.do?lang=en#differenceBetweenShortAndLongForm

A Certified Copy of the Birth Registration contains the following information:

Subject name (that's you)
Subject date of birth
Birthplace (city, town, village, municipality)
Sex
Location of birth (hospital, birthing centre, etc.,)
Parent(s) name(s)
>> Parent(s) date(s) of birth
Parent mailing address at the time of birth
Duration of the pregnancy
Number of children born to this mother
>> Parent(s) place(s) of birth
Weight of the child at birth
Type of birth (single, multiple, etc.,)
Attendant at the birth
Date of Registration
Registration number
Date issued

Ordering:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-or-replace-ontario-birth-certificate#section-4

If your father was involved when your birth was registered, then, hopefully, you would be able to get the details of his date and place of birth from that record.

You would be able to get much farther once you had that info, e.g. for identifying his birth in the records at www.scotlandspeople.co.uk

What Shirley means by "isn't a subs site" is that nobody here has a subscription to search records on your behalf, unlike e.g. Ancestry, and records have to be purchased individually. However, with his date and place of birth, you would be able to narrow the search for his birth down and maybe even pinpoint it.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 23 Apr 2018 01:51

Melinda being new to the boards, I PMed her about replies here after writing the post above, but unfortunately she hasn't opened the message.

Melinda

Melinda Report 16 May 2018 03:23

Ty all for responding to my thread and I really appreciate all of you helping me. I'm gonna try and search for more details and hopefully be on the right path. Ty all again and good luck with all your searches :-)

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 16 May 2018 09:27

https://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1371278?jump=1371278