Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for my father Iain Scott

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jamie

Jamie Report 14 Jul 2018 21:29

I have been looking for my biological father for some time now and to be honest, I’ve got no where!

I have tried social media, I’ve put ads out there and nothing!
Am I missing the basics? Any tips on where to go from here?

His name is Iain Scott, I’d guess his year of birth is between 1968-1971. Originally from Scotland, moved to East London (met my mum), then moved back to Scotland to work on the oil rigs. He has a brother and were both adopted at a young age.

This is all the info I have!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 14 Jul 2018 23:13

Have you thought about taking a DNA test like the ones from Ancestry or 23andMe?

That might be your best bet.

Rose

Jamie

Jamie Report 15 Jul 2018 08:06

How would that work unless his DNA is in the system? Just wondering...

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Jul 2018 11:13

Is Iain Scott his birth name or his adopted name?

Have you added your name to the Adoption Contact Register? You can find information about it here:-

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jul 2018 11:21

You never know. He might hope to trace his own birth family.

You seem to have covered all the routes we would normally suggest. There’s not many others to follow.

Presumably you’ve added your name to the Adoption Contact Register or were you raised by your mother? Did he acknowledge that you are his son ie his name is on your original BC? Did he pay your mother maintenance while you were younger?

If he is on the electoral roll, you might find his name listed on 192.com. As there are probably many people of the same name, you really do need to be careful if you were to approach them. It would be better to write to them, indicating that your mother was trying to trace an old friend. Any current partner may not know he has a child so don’t come out with that directly. You have enough details for him to recognise himself - your mother’s name at the time & where they met. Unless he told your mother he had a birth sibling - was that right or was his ‘brother’ adopted into his family? - he may not be aware.

Jamie

Jamie Report 15 Jul 2018 12:42

I haven’t looked at the adoption contact register if I’m honest, I’ll look into that today!

All the info I have is all I know, I’d assume that was his birth name but couldnt be 100%.

His name isn’t on my BC and he didn’t pay maintainence as far as I know and I was raised by my mum. I also have a younger brother (with the same dad) so paternity isn’t an issue.

His brother is his actual brother from what I’m told.

Thanks for your help so far guys, it’s appreciated!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jul 2018 13:20

Not sure why you've had a suggestion to take a DNA test - that surely only works if you've got someone else's DNA to compare. Or am I mistaken?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jul 2018 14:19

As Iain Scott was adopted, he might be looking for birth relatives hence, I’m guessing, the DNA suggestion.

The ‘worst’ thing that can happen is if Jamie is matched with more remote paternal birth relatives. Could be of interest but not much good for finding his father.

Rather than registering on the England & Wales Adoption Contact Register, the Scottish version might be better
http://www.birthlink.org.uk

Even so, their remit may not cover finding him on your behalf. You’re not sure if his name is the one given at birth or by his adoptive parents.

Jamie

Jamie Report 15 Jul 2018 14:38

I just spoke to my nan and Scott is his adopted surname. Will this make a big difference?

malyon

malyon Report 16 Jul 2018 12:58

there are 112 Iain scotts on electrol list in scotland

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jul 2018 13:31

I'm at a loss to understand how DNA would help, unless you have the father's sample with which to make comparisons.........and the father is who the poster is trying to locate

The best thing you can do, Jamie, is add yourself to the national register..........and hope that your father is on there looking for his son(s)

I wish you lots of luck in your quest

Doesn't your mother know what his date of birth is?

Jamie

Jamie Report 16 Jul 2018 13:46

Thank you Erika, I think I’m going to need all the luck possible!!
I haven’t spoken to my mum, she doesn’t know I have been looking for him. I have no idea as to why he left, how things were left between him and my mum and I’d rather not bring it up in case it’s a sore subject.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jul 2018 14:11

In that case, probably a wise decision - no point in upsetting your mum if you can possibly avoid it.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Jul 2018 14:27

As a last resort, we often suggest adopted people do a DNA test & upload the results to various websites hoping for a match with birth family.

Jamie has been told that his father was originally adopted. There’s a remote chance that Iain has submitted his results in the hope of finding his birth family. If Jamie did the same, & used the same websites, they would have a strong match. Jamie would have a chance of contacting his father through the site.

Now, I do agree the odds are low. However it’s one more route to consider.

P

P Report 24 Jul 2018 12:15

this might seem like a really dumb suggestion, but have you tried searching via facebook? there are alot of Iain Scott's that come up living in Scotland? :-)

i hope you find some answers. x