Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for a link between Laidler (IOW) & Eden

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cassandra

Cassandra Report 29 Jan 2020 12:19

I have discovered that I have a high number of hot matches with another user (Samuel Laidler 1981) on genes reunited. I have tried to contact this user over the course of the last 12 months, to no avail.

I have contacted the help desk to see whether they are able to help me but they can't offer me any information as per GDPR/Data Protection etc.

The member that I have hot matches with has my name (Cassandra Eden 1987) on his family tree as well as my siblings, parents and my own daughter but I have no clue how or where within the family tree we are related or linked and I'm at my wits end trying to uncover this mystery.

I have contacted someone of the same name and information on social media, however he explained that if it was indeed him, it was an account that he had set up years ago and no longer remembered the details.

I have spoken to my close family and not a single one has heard or knows how we relate to Samuel Laidler (1981) and I will be sincerely grateful if anyone has any advice or information to offer in relation to this sticking point.

Kind regards

Cassie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Jan 2020 12:31

Simply put - do some research. Work back from the 1981 birth and see where it takes you

Cassandra

Cassandra Report 29 Jan 2020 13:22

I have... Ive been at it for months, weeks, days and hours and have devised a family tree for the surname Laidler but I'm really at a loss and am missing a link somewhere that's stopping me.

I've been back through my family tree to double check my entries and I have been gathering as much information as I can in relation to Sam and his family but I've hit a brick wall and it's so frustrating...

Thank you for the reply though.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Jan 2020 13:47

Samuel's father's line originated in Scotland, mainly Glasgow.

His mother's mother's line seems to be from Luton, but I can't see his maternal grandfather's birth - George E Penman.
There's more than one possibility, none in Luton.

Possibly Leighton Buzzard 1928

The link may be from a long way back, and may only be through several marriages, and not a close link at all. If so, almost impossible to find (or actually impossible, as you've found so far).
I have a lot of people on my tree who are such distant twigs on the tree that they're really not related to me in any meaningful way at all. It's so easy to get carried away by the thrill of the chase, and find you're investigating a relative's wife's cousin's tree instead.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Jan 2020 15:48

Regardless of any link, your name and certainly that of your daughter should not be on his tree without your permission.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Jan 2020 16:25

In GR privacy policy:

If you become aware that your personal information has been included in somebody else's tree without your permission or is being misused in any other way on the website, please contact our Customer Support at [email protected] with details and we will investigate and, if necessary, remove this information.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/contents/legalprivacypolicy

Cassandra

Cassandra Report 29 Jan 2020 16:52

Thank you for the replies, they are greatly appreciated, the thing is I dont necessarily want to remove permission, I just want to know how we are related... even if the link is tenuous.

Cassie ;-)

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 31 Jan 2020 19:57

Was he born on the Isle of Wight - Samuel Alan 1981.
Several people with this surname on the IOW.