Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Richard Knowles

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Becky

Becky Report 4 Sep 2020 11:52

I am looking for my maternal great uncle Richard Knowles. He was born in Epsom, Surrey, in 1944 to Jean Knowles and Royce Richardson. In his birth record, his mothers maiden name is given as Gibson.

I do not have much more information to work from but I believe he spent some time in foster care with Barnados but was not officially adopted. I was also told that he joined either the army of the navy.

It is possible that he lived in Surrey for a time, possibly in the Guildford area.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Sep 2020 13:06

What about siblings did he have any that may know about him

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Sep 2020 14:09

In the birth record he has a middle initial of R. Do you know what this name is? Could it be for either Royce or Richardson as I presume the parents were not married to each other or his surname would be Richardson?

Kath. x

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Sep 2020 14:43

Not seeing a marriage for a Jean Gibson to a Knowles.

Rose

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Sep 2020 14:57

Was Royce from America or Canada (since Richard's birth was during the war)? I can't see a birth anywhere in England for that name.

Kath. x

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Sep 2020 15:06

More here:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1335681

Royce was Canadian and Jean was Jean Eleanor Knowles.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Sep 2020 15:11

There's a Richard R Knowles marrying in 1979 in Surrey S W. This includes Guildford.

Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Sep 2020 15:22

Have you checked ‘search all member trees’ in the past six years?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Sep 2020 19:03

Sadly, his death in 2016:

KNOWLES, RICHARD ROYCE 1944
GRO Reference: DOR Q1/2016 in Milton Keynes (326-1A) Entry Number 513354343

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Sep 2020 20:28

Possible daughter born in 1979, if you assume the wife had previously been married.

Rose

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Sep 2020 21:44

It's possible the 1979 marriage may be a different Richard Knowles.
It's the only marriage that I can see in England/Wales for a Richard Knowles and a wife of that particular first name and middle initial .

There are ER listings in Cornwall for a Richard Knowles and (presumably) a wife of that name and initial, up to 2019.

The Richard Royce Knowles who died in 2016 is on the ER for Milton Keynes 2002-2015. Nobody else listed with him.

Becky

Becky Report 4 Sep 2020 22:35

Thanks everyone, I think that the Richard Royce Knowles who died in 2016 must be who im looking for... its quite a unique middle name.

unfortunately, I was hoping that Richard and my nan (Richards sister) might get back in touch after many many years but it looks as though it may be too late.

My focus now will be to look for living relatives of Richard Royce Knowles other than my Nan Magaret Jean Richardson.... maybe I can eventually find pictures of him and maybe help my nan get into contact with other relatives of his.

I will look into marriages and possible children but if anyone knows of any further info which might help me, I'd greatly appreciate it

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Sep 2020 22:37

In answer to your PM, I've sent instructions re how to order a copy of the death cert.

It's possible that the informant on the cert may turn out to be a relative.

If he didn't marry, then you're back to the Knowles family as far as relatives are concerned, or else relatives of Royce Richardson.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Sep 2020 13:01

Reading between the lines on your other thread, I'm assuming that your nan was brought up by her mother, and therefore would know if there had been other children born later by other men - and therefore that there weren't any?

Unless Jean specifically told your nan that she'd only one other child, I suppose there could have been more born and adopted before your nan was born, but there's no way of knowing what name they might have been registered under.

Jean was a live-in housemaid in 1939:

Jean E Knowles
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: Jean E Knowles
Marital status: Single
Birth Date: 14 Sep 1914
Residence Year: 1939
Address: Mounthill, South Street
Residence Place: Epsom and Ewell, Surrey , England
Line Number: 17
Schedule Number: 115
Sub Schedule Number: 5
Enumeration District: CNWC
Borough: Epsom and Ewell
Registration District: 31/5
Household Members:
Name
Alice Haulder - [Alec ] - Lt Colonel (retired)
Muriel C Haulder - domestic duties
Horace S Smith - 8 Nov 1911, single, manservant
Edith E Lew - [ Cox, not Lew ] - 16 Aug 1902, single, cook
Jean E Knowles
[and one closed record]