Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 Navy - Netherlands lookup/advice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 23 Aug 2013 12:34

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to locate where to go looking for a relatives Navy Service Records from WW2. He was born 1923/1924.
He was from the Netherlands/Holland.

I have tried googling but not having a great deal of luck.
Can anyone help my on this matter?

Please let me know if you require further information?
Regards,
Emma

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 25 Aug 2013 10:47

You do not state which Navy the person was in. Although he was born in the Netherlands was it the British Royal Navy or the Merchant Navy?

If it was the Royal Navy then he would have been given his service record upon his discharge from the service.

Emma

Emma Report 26 Aug 2013 03:09

Hi Jonesey
Oh Ok, thanks for the info.
Merchant Navy as far as I am aware.
Regards,
Emma

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 26 Aug 2013 09:37

Emma,

It might be worth looking up some of these records at the National Archives site:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/merchantseamanafter1917.htm

Emma

Emma Report 26 Aug 2013 10:59

Thanks for the link Jonesey, I will have a look shortly.
Regards, Emma

Kate

Kate Report 26 Aug 2013 16:27

If you find that he was born in the Netherlands I could try to find out about him as I currently in Utrecht, Netherlands.

Emma

Emma Report 27 Aug 2013 00:38

Hi Kate.
I know he was born in 1924 in Zutphen.
Not sure of parents names or when he joined the Navy, but did emigrate to Australia in 1966.
Regards,Emma

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Aug 2013 12:21

Although I think they are mainly immigrants from the UK, you could look on the National Archives for Australia to see if he had applied for assisted passage.

http://www.naa.gov.au/

Select Family History
Record Search
Search the collection (opens in a new window)
On the Green Bar - name search
Immigration and Naturalistion records from the drop down list.

Although he could still be living, search the Ryerson Index for notice of his death.
http://ryersonindex.net/search.php
If one is found, ask for a transcript which could name his descendents. If you can trace them, they may be able to tell you the names of his parents

................or are you a descendent??
:-D

Emma

Emma Report 28 Aug 2013 07:20

Hi.
I am a descendant by marriage. I know his descendants just not his ancestors. I am mainly after is Navy Records. Yes I think there is something in NAA records, but I will go and check again later as I have just 'got back into' my family history after a short break.
Thanks for all your help everyone.
Regards,Emma