Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Search for W.Nicholls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Jan 2014 01:10

Hi I am searching for a W.Nicholls, ex forces. Nick name was Taffy/Taff. Was based in Warminster Wiltshire during 1953 and then Germany just after. I believe he was a cook or worked in the kitchens. In 1955 he was a Lance Corporal. He would have been born between 1918 - 1925 I think.
Any info greatly received.
Many Thanks :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Jan 2014 10:41

Welcome to the Boards Sarah-Jayne.
Is this query in relation to a presumed father?

A nickname of Taffy suggests that he might have been Welsh, or had a Welsh accent.

It would be helpful to know which Regiment he served with. Have you tried posting on Forcesreunited?

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Jan 2014 11:26

Thank you, Yes I believe he was Welsh. I have had no luck with Forcesreunited so I thought I would try on here as well. He would be my Grandad. I have looked to see what regiments were in Warminster during 53 and The Glosters keep coming up so i's possible he was attached to them. My Nan always said he was in The Welsh but I don't know anymore than that. It is unlikely he is alive but if he is he would be in his 90's. I would love to see a picture of him and find out more about his life. He has a son he has never met, 2 granddaughters and 4 great grandchildren.
Regards
Sarah-Jayne

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Jan 2014 12:13

If your grandmother married him, see if you can find the GRO reference in her name and order the certificate.

That should give his declared age at the time, as well as his father's name if known, If he was serving in the army, it 'might' give his Regiment and service number

Try FreeMD for the reference, then order from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
The Certificate will cost £9.25

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Jan 2014 22:21

Thank you but they never married. My Nan fell pregnant and just before my Dad was born W.Nicholls was posted somewhere in Germany. He never came back so has never met my dad. He did however pay maintenance for 16 years but the courts have no records of forwarding addresses, regiment or soldier no. The documents just say Lance Corporal W.Nicholls dates Feb 1955 through Warminster Town Hall court petty sessions.I have even written off to get his records but because I have no soldier no., regiment or date of Birth they cannot help me :-(