Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Absent voters list 1919

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 18 Feb 2014 17:53

Hi
I am part of the Somerset, Hutton, Locking & Old Mixon Royal British Legion team working on compiling any information we can about people from our village that served during the WW1 conflict and wondered if there was anyone in Genes Reunited that may have them in there tree?
We are looking for any photos or documented material about all of our WW1 servicemen you may be willing to share with us.
Best regards
Peter Lander

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Feb 2014 20:23

If you've enough volunteers, you could find the 1911 census Folio which covers your village(s), then plough through the images to find the males of serviceable age. With that information use the 'Search all member's trees' on this site & send a message to any member who may feature them

You can do the same thing if you have War Memorial names.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Feb 2014 11:30

Hello Peter and welcome to the Community Boards.

I would definitely recommend the following link to you. They have just completed helping a small village school to research the names on their War Memorial. There is no charge whatsoever.

https://www.facebook.com/GenealogyResearchAssistant

patchem

patchem Report 22 Feb 2014 09:06

I think Hutton and Locking births would be registered under Axbridge.

Just putting a typical 1911 census entry-we need names, please.

1911 England Census
William John Hancock Age in 1911: 17 Estimated birth year: abt 1894
Relation to Head: Adopted
Civil Parish: Locking and Hutton County/Island: Somerset Country: England
Street address: Locking, Near Weston Super Mare, Somersetshire
Marital Status: Single Occupation: Farm LAbourer
Registration district: Axbridge Registration District Number: 314 Sub-registration district: Weston Super Mark
ED, institution, or vessel: 3 Household schedule number: 19B Piece: 14585
William Albert Pike 51
Bessy Emily Pike 25
William John Hancock 17
Alexander George Pike 1/12
Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 14585; Schedule Number: 19B.

It is unlikely that members of genes with ancestors meeting your criteria will read this notice board -you have to go out looking.

These are from 1911 census, some of the males living in the village, born 1890 to 1900:

Francis Sidney Bryant abt 1893 Hutton Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Frederick Charles Choules abt 1891 Locking, Somerset Head Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Reginald Clark abt 1900 Nailsworth, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
William Corner abt 1897 Woodborough, Wiltshire Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
George Dudley abt 1895 Swindon, Wiltshire Ward Locking and Hutton, Somerset
William Dunn abt 1892 Wellington, Somerset Assistant Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Henery George Flower abt 1896 Weston Super Mare, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Metford John Frost abt 1893 Berrow, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
John Harvey abt 1897 Weston Super Mare, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Edwin Heath abt 1898 Aldershot, Hampshire Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Basil Heath abt 1899 Brimscombe, Gloucestershire Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Ernest Edwin Hoddinott abt 1892 Bradpole, Dorset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Harold Henry Hoddinott abt 1895 Compton Martin, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
William Jones abt 1894 Hutton, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Arthur Jones abt 1896 Hutton, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Arthur Lyons abt 1893 Godney, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Harry Lyons abt 1897 Newton, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
William Samuel Palme abt 1890 Hutton, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Clifford Pearse abt 1893 North Newton, Somerset Servant Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Bert Searle abt 1890 Old Junction, Hutton Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Frederick Stark abt 1897 Hutton, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Henry Joseph Wason abt 1893 Highbridge, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Earnest Edward Wason abt 1895 Highbridge, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset
Henry Frank White abt 1899 Hutton, Somerset Son Locking and Hutton, Somerset

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 22 Feb 2014 22:26

Peter did post this on GRA Facebook page (as Cynthia linked above) but has not returned to that post where request for further info was made.

It's such a shame that when volunteers are willing to help the poster does not enable them to do so.

Graham

Graham Report 25 Feb 2014 22:01

You might want to try the Weston-super-Mare & District Family History Society. Some of the members might be related to veterans of the Great War.

http://www.wsmfhs.org.uk

Peter

Peter Report 12 Mar 2014 00:29

I dont understand MarieCelste posting.

"Peter did post this on GRA Facebook page (as Cynthia linked above) but has not returned to that post where request for further info was made.
It's such a shame that when volunteers are willing to help the poster does not enable them to do so."

I keep going to GRA Facebook page but have had no request for further information. I have received some feedback from my posting.

Potty

Potty Report 12 Mar 2014 12:28

Peter, don't know how far you have got with your research, but I did a similar exercise for the men listed on the War Memorial in our village. All their burials were recorded on the CWGC site so I was able to produce a sheet for each man with a photo of the cemetery. I also found some Service or Pension records on Ancestry which I was able to incorporate on their sheets.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Mar 2014 12:53

I think all of the men have been researched now Peter. Some did not die until much later.

I will check back on FB and see how the info is being sent to you. Cx :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 Mar 2014 15:18

Hello Peter, I have replied to your message on Facebook rather than repeat myself here.

The research is just about complete and will be with you in a few days. :-)