Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Out Pensioners

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2015 10:54

Came across the expression 'out pensioner' several weeks ago when searching the NDFHS records at Newcastle for my Titilah ancestors. John Titilah's interment record had the words written on it. I discovered it refers to a Chelsea Pensioner living out of the Hospital as Imdiscovered when searching online for information.

Two of the records held at Newcastle conflicted. One stated he was born at Glasgow and another said Northumberland. I have not found evidence confirming one or the other.

My cousin has been back and she says there is evidence of several Titilahs being in the Army, some born in India, some in London.

Not sure whether I have to go back to Newcastle or whether there will be anything online as I've not come across anything online so far.

Does anyone know of an online source with the same or similar information?

Potty

Potty Report 6 Sep 2015 12:29

Not sure exactly what info you are looking for - is it just Chelsea Pensioner records or are you looking for anything else? What time period?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Sep 2015 12:32

Do you know when he was born?

There are a couple of baptisms and a couple of births on Findmypast for that name. Two in Berwick-on-Tweed and two in Hexham.

The years are 1806 and 1834 in Berwick and 1853 and 1854 in Hexham

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2015 12:59

He was married at St Anne's, Soho, Westminster in 1794.

By my reckoning he was born around 1767-ish.

Potty

Potty Report 6 Sep 2015 14:21

Could this be his daughter:

Name:Eliz Titilah??
Baptism Date:1804
Parent 1:John Titilah??
Parent 2:MaryTitilah??
Parish:St. Pancras
County:Middlesex

Potty

Potty Report 6 Sep 2015 14:33

Is this death connected?

Name John Titilah
Event Type Burial
Burial Date 14 Jun 1801
Burial Place Southwark, London
Affiliate Publication Number RG4_4359

Not the John who married (Mary Givens) in 1794 as he had a son, Thomas, baptised 1806 Berwick on Tweed.

JoyLouise, I can find a few records for John's children. Do you have them? If not I will post them.

Edit: the above John was 6 when buried - possibly a son of John & Mary.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2015 14:57

Potty, I have The following info.

John the father died in Berwick in 1813.

Mary the mother (nee Givens) to my knowledge was born in 1771 but I have not found proof of her baptism in or around Berwick. I posted quite some time ago after I had seen several trees that showed she was the sister of Hannah and others baptised at Berwick (Hannah married Umpleby). Had a response that gave a baptism in the London area. Anyway, Mary apparently married Thomas Statham in 1818 before dying in 1844.

The children of John and Mary Titilah are:

Isabella (mine)
b 22.12.1797, X 04.01.1798, Berwick
and
Thomas
b 06.12.1805, X 05.01.1806, Berwick.

I've found no more.

I am puzzled over the records that show John as being born at Glasgow and then the burial (I think) record that said he was a native of Northumberland. I am inclined to believe the early record (Glasgow) as probably giving the correct place of birth and the second as being the incumbent's assumption.

What do you think?

Potty

Potty Report 6 Sep 2015 15:18

Another possible child:

Name:Mary Ann Titilah

Birth Date:24 Oct 1800

Baptism Date:21 Dec 1800

Baptism Place:
St George The Martyr,Southwark,London,England

Father: John Titilah

Mother: Mary

Where did you find the records for John (the Glasgow one and the burial - were they original images or transcriptions)?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2015 15:28

Found them in the Northumberland and Durham Family History Society at Percy House in Newcastle. Have to look to see whether I made a note that they were transcribed or original. From memory, though, most of what I looked at seemed to be originals or copies of originals.

Potty

Potty Report 6 Sep 2015 16:26

familysearch has images of baptisms for Northumberland but Berwick on Tweed doesn't seem to be there. There are registers for Tweedmouth (which was later transferred to Berwick) but I can't find Isabella or Thomas there. These registers give quite a lot of information, including MMN and which parish the parents were from.).

If you haven't seen the original images, you should be able to order the film to view at your nearest LDS Family History Centre - you can find where it is from the familysearch site -

https://familysearch.org/

Potty

Potty Report 6 Sep 2015 16:47

This looks like Mary in 1841 - POB Northumberland:

Name:Mary Statham
Estimated birth year:abt 1775
Where born:Northumberland, England
Civil Parish:Berwick Upon Tweed
Hundred:
Berwick upon Tweed

Thos Statham 59
Mary Statham 66
Hannah Jones 29
Thos Ross 9

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2015 17:15

Potty

Percy House had records from Presbyterian churches in the area, Golden Square being one of them (someone called one of them the Scotch Church).

I have searched for John Titilah in Glasgow but have only come across ones from Aberdeen and the name is spelt in a variety of ways, eg Tytler, Tatler (as Isabella's was spelt when she married at Yetholm) etc.

Aberdeen was where my mother told me that our family in Liverpool used to have regular fish deliveries sent from but that was even before her time and I thought she could have mistaken Aberdeen for Glasgow as the mists of time altered memories.

I'll keep trying to knit the pieces together.