Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

22nd regiment of foot

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

peter

peter Report 17 Sep 2015 23:04

I'm trying to trace the service record of my great great grandfather. I don't have a service number but i do know he served as a sergeant in the "2nd battalion, 22nd Regiment of Foot and was in India in 1875 as confirmed by his daughter's birth certificate which shows she was born in Ranikhet.

His name on the birth certificate is Peter Conroy although it appears that in some records his surname is shown as Conray or Conway and sometimes even his first name is Patrick. I have looked on several websites with no luck.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks Peter.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Sep 2015 15:26

Hello Peter, when and where was he born? Need that info to try to identify his records (if found)

peter

peter Report 18 Sep 2015 17:29

Thanks for the reply. He was born in 1839. The 1901 census shows place of birth as Bradford however the 1891 censut shows Ireland. As he had lived in Bradford prior to moving to Newcastle upon Tyne I suspect that's why Bradford is shown. I have not got a birth cert for him.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Sep 2015 17:51

If he was born in Ireland there won't be a birth certificate for him as civil registration didn't start in Ireland until 1845.

Kath. x

peter

peter Report 18 Sep 2015 18:07

Thank you Kath hopefully ill kmow very soon his birth place

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Sep 2015 20:35

Haven't trawled through the service records yet, but the 1881 census also shows his birthplace as Bradford:

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
17, York Street, Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England

Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place

Patrick Conroy Head Married Male 37 1844 Ex Soldier Bradford, Yorkshire, England
Hannah Conroy Wife Married Female 32 1849 - Leeds, Yorkshire, England Transcription
Alfred Conroy Son Single Male 14 1867 - Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, England
Caroline Conroy Daughter Single Female 12 1869 - Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, England
Emily M Conroy Daughter Single Female 8 1873 - Aldershot, Hampshire, England
Ada Adelaide Conroy Daughter Single Female 4 1877 - East Indies

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Sep 2015 20:39

This is a possible - looks as though it has him born in two places!

Will read through the images

British Army Service Records 1760-1915

First name(s) PATRICK
Last name CONROY
Birth year 1840
Birth parish MOUNT MELLICK
Birth town BRADFORD <<<< ???
Birth county QUEENS (LAOIS)
Birth country IRELAND
Service number 562
Rank SERGEANT
Regiment Cheshire Regiment - 22nd Foot
Document Type Discharge
Attestation year 1858
Attestation Day 9
Attestation Month 1
Attestation age years 18
Attestation age months 3
Discharge Corps 2/22ND REGT OF FOOT
Discharge service number 562
Series WO97 chelsea pensioners british army service records 1760-1913

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Sep 2015 20:46

Peter - what level of subscription do you have on Genes Reunited?

The record above is from FindMyPast but it's also available on this site. If you're on pay per view I'll get the images for you from FMP.

It says in a few places he was born Bradford, Laois but I haven't found any record of the place. It's quite possible that when he's given the birthplace of Bradford that census enumerators have assumed Yorks.

Pretty sure it's your man as intended place of residence when discharged in 1879 was Elswick Road, Newcastle.

peter

peter Report 18 Sep 2015 22:14

Thanks very much Marie Celeste from the detail I have it does look like he's the man. I'm on pay per view and would be so grateful for any further help you can give me. :-)

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 19 Sep 2015 07:44

safc Report 10 Jun 2015 10:35
British India Office Ecclesiastical Returns- Births & Baptisms Transcriptition

First name(s) Ada Adelaide Beatrice
Last name Conway
Baptism year 1875
Birth year 1875
Place Ranikhet
Presidency Bengal
Mother's first name(s) Hannah
Mother's last name -
Father's first name(s) Patrick
Father's last name Conway
Baptism date 12 Sep 1875
Birth date 17 Aug 1875
Archive reference N-1-153
Folio 48
Page -
Catalogue descriptions Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Bengal
Record set British India Office births & baptisms
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from Great Britain

(taken from below)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1352534?d=asc

Chris :)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Sep 2015 08:11

Peter, I'll pull the images together and send them to you.

I hadn't been aware that you had an existing thread which already contained that information. It's always a good idea if you have a thread about a family to just add to that so that we don't duplicate each other's efforts. No need to get hung up about which board (e.g. Find Ancestors or Military Chat) a thread was on - it's the same people who help on all.

Kayak

Kayak Report 22 Sep 2015 13:12

Above Peter is recorded with the birth parish as Mount Mellick with county Queens Laios

Parish records for some of Ireland can be found here:

http://www.nli.ie/

Parish records for baptisms 1837-1859 Mountmellick are available to view at the National Library of Ireland website here:

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634514#page/1/mode/1up

had a quick look and there is a Peter Conroy baptised on 27th June 1842 parents: Michael Conroy and Cath Kearney

but it might be worth looking from 1839-1845 to see if there are any others that could fit for your Peter Conroy/Conway

I know this doesn't help with your direct query above but may help you to continue researching your Conroy line back in time.

Chris

peter

peter Report 22 Sep 2015 15:19

thanks Chris that will be very helpful as i do intend researching the Conroy line.