Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Castle Revellers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 13 Feb 2016 10:51

Has anyone heard of the above band, based at Lowther Castle, Cumberland from 1940 to 1945. My interest is in Harry Nellis, one of the members.

Many thanks for any information, Ann

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Feb 2016 13:52

Welcome to the boards Ann.

Was Harry Nellis in the army? Looking on Wikipedia it seems that Lowther Castle was occupied by the army during the years you state and was later demolished.

Kath. x

Ann

Ann Report 14 Feb 2016 19:52

Hi Kath, Thank you for that, he was in the army and stationed there for some time working on tanks. I am interested in where he went after that. It could have been Scotland. He was also a member of a dance band called The Castle Revellers which means he was pretty settled for some time during the war.

Many thanks for your help. Ann

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Feb 2016 23:46

Assuming you are a close relative and that he is deceased, you can apply for a copy of his service records from the MOD. They will cost about £30 and can take several months to arrive. There is no charge if a surviving wife applies.

The forms & other information can be found here
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Ann

Ann Report 15 Feb 2016 16:43

Thank you very much for that and I will certainly look into it as a possibility.

Best wishes, Ann