Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Silver medal.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence

Florence Report 21 Feb 2016 11:18

Hello ,

Could someone tell me what the Silver medal stood for in WW1. please.

Was it the standard medal for serving in the army in WW1?

Flo.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Feb 2016 11:49

No - the Silver War Badge was given to service men who had been injured or discharged because of sickness which would make them 'ineffective soldiers' It was designed, in part, to indicate that they weren't Contentious Objectors or Absconders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_War_Badge

There's a separate data base on Ancestry which doesn't always come up on a general name search. That normally tells you when he first enlisted or saw active service, and the date he was discharged. The SWB number helps to pin-point the correct man

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Feb 2016 10:52

Florence? Are you there???
PM sent reminding her to check for and acknowledge replies.

If you don't have access to Ancestry, we'd be happy to access the SWB register for you. All we'd need, would the the name and SWB number.

Florence

Florence Report 24 Feb 2016 14:06

Hello Detective,

So sorry for not answering straight away ! only just noticed your e,mail.

I was distracted forgot about my question i had asked on genes .We have just lost my sister inlaw, came as a shock, as she was not ill ..

The badge was for my grandfather i never knew. I had come across a record that had the reason for my grandad being discharged in 1817 through sickness.
and another record saying he earned the silver badge.
I was not sure where to ask on ancestry so i put the guestion on Genes.

So you are correct! Thank you for taking the time to help! I would have forgotten all about it if you had not e,mailed me!.
regards Flo.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Feb 2016 17:01

No problem, and sorry for your loss. Immediate family are far more important than our forebearers. <3

Florence

Florence Report 24 Feb 2016 17:47

So true Detective!

Thanks again.
Flo.