Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Seeking Sidney Betenson RN artificer DMX48570

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 1 Mar 2016 17:53

This a wall I have been trying to climb for many a long year. Am trying to find Sid's naval records. There is a family feeling that he may have attended a Naval School prior to enlisting in RN.

He was born 3 July 1915 in Portsmouth and d. 6 Nov 1999. He had returned from leave to rejoin his ship only to be told he was to report to HMS Exeter instead.

Today is the anniversary of her scuttling in the Java Sea. A lot of her crew were captured by the Japanese Navy and Sid was in Macassar POW for 3 1/2 years in Indonesia.

His father, also Sidney George Betenson was kia 1 January 1915 on HMS Formidable off Portland Bill so it could be possible his son was in a naval school. He too was an artificer M1295 and I found his records but not his son's.

We have many photos of Sid in uniform, no dates - sometimes a place name and we should like to tidy these up also.

If anyone can help me - please I would be so grateful and advise me where to look.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Mar 2016 18:16

As he was born 1915, his records might/ are probably still with the MOD.
Check out
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html
for details on how to apply.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 1 Mar 2016 18:17

will do later - chef is calling.

Thank you

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 10 Mar 2016 00:21

he is recorded as SHG Betenson - Engine room artificer - POW camp Java
Liberation 02/09/1945

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 10 Mar 2016 10:35

There are two naval schools, one in Dunbar and the other now in Holbrook, East Anglia but previously The Royal Hospital School at Greenwich. If he came from Portsmouth, this is the more likely.

According to the link below, all the early tiffies (artificers) came from The Royal Hospital School. The link has a lot of photos of people, sadly not labelled, but interesting all the same.

It might be possible to get further information by contacting The Fisgard Association.

http://thefisgardassociation.org/association/timeline.shtml

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 11 Mar 2016 13:19

Thank you all - yes his middle names were Henry George after both his g.fathers.