Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charles William Lewis Ott

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Effie

Effie Report 23 Jun 2016 00:25

I am trying to find my father's Squadron and number as he was in the RAF for a long time he was stationed at Henlow RAF Bedfordshire. My father was born in Devon in 1907 but at a later stage my father along with his two sisters Ivy and Ethel Ott they moved to Shepherds Bush Ealing London as he went to school there, however, when their mother died in 1924 my father left home and went to live in Luton Bedfordshire and he joined the RAF and I think he first joined at Halton RAF but spent most of his time at Henlow RAF Bedfordshire he became a Flight Sargeant. I also think he joined the RAF when he was young maybe around 16/17 yrs old and was in the RAF for about 21yrs. I would be grateful if anyone could let me know how to obtain his Squadron and Number or inform me what is the best way I can find out more
Thanking you
Effie Lewis (nee Ott)

Choccy

Choccy Report 23 Jun 2016 09:23

British Royal Air Force, Airmen's service records 1912-1939

First name(s) Charles William Lewis

Last name Ott

Birth year 1907

Birth date 30 Oct 1907

Birth town Devonport

Birth county Devon

Occupation Ledger Clerk

Attestation year 1927

Attestation date 01 Dec 1927

Attestation age 20

Service number 507759

Archive reference AIR 79/3025

Next of kin first name(s )-

Next of kin last name Ott

Record set British Royal Air Force, Airmen's service records 1912-1939

Category Military, armed forces & conflict

Subcategory Service Records

Collections from Great Britain

http://tinyurl.com/jv44t93

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Jun 2016 10:41

The next of kin on the record Choccy found is his father Mr. C. T. Ott, 9 Nightingale Road, Clapton, London, E.

This name has been added later as the original next of kin on the form is his sister, Mrs. I. M. Bennett, 35 Hayton Road, Brixton.

From 1st Jan. 1925 to 8th Nov. 1927 he was employed as a Ledger Clerk for The British Electric Transformer Company, Hayes, Middlesex.

Kath. x

Effie

Effie Report 23 Jun 2016 16:27

Kathleen and Choccy - Thank you for letting me know about my father Charles William Lewis Ott b.1907 Devon. Yes his father was Charles Thomas Ott and his sister my Aunt Ivy May Bennett b.1905 Devon, I was surprised to see that my father Charles W L Ott used to work at a Ledger Clerk for The British Electric Transformer Company, Hayes, Middlesex, as I never knew that.
Anyway again thank you for letting me know about my cousin Yvonne Hopkins who passed away 28th October 2015 sadly.
Thanking you
Effie Lewis (nee Ott)

Ian

Ian Report 23 Jun 2016 20:05

Hi Effie
For his actual records you can get a copy for a fee from the RAF:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/links/contacts.cfm

This should tellyou when and where he served and possibly a lot more depending on how accurate the particular records were kept.

Good luck

Ian (ex-RAF)