Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Evacuation centers during WW!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 2 Jul 2016 19:53

I would like to know whether there is a list of evacuation centers and whether these evacuation centers kept list of names of children who stayed there. Where can i get this information? thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Jul 2016 23:14

Have you tried the schools they were sent away with? If such lists still exist, they'd possibly be with the LEA or have been passed on to the local archive.

On the other hand, many children went to stay with relatives who lived in a 'safe' zone. They'd probably be on the local school's attendance register but not necessarily on a specific evacuee list.

Some children were also sent to Canada or the USA - passenger lists would be your best option.

If you were looking for an evacuee who died before 1991, you might find them on the 1939 register. 2 of 'mine' are in a stately home in Oxfordshire or there abouts.

Martin

Martin Report 3 Jul 2016 18:51

Thanks Detective, i believe my mother was sent to a private manor house somewhere in Cheshire, not sure where

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 6 Jul 2016 14:33

There are several websites about evacuees and where their records are. This one looks as if it could be useful.

http://www.evacuees.org.uk/