Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ww1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 19 Apr 2017 15:00

Can anyone tell me if phots's of each enlistment were taken and if so how to obtain this.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 19 Apr 2017 15:10

All the WW 1 documents were put together and in WW2 they were bombed in the Blitz, over 70% of the documents were burnt.

Can you name the person (s) if you haven't got subscriptions to other sites and we may be able to find some info for you. e.g Ancestry and Find my Past have info.

:-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Apr 2017 16:23

I don't think photos were generally taken when a person enlisted but lots of soldiers (at least in my family) had studio photos taken for their parents just before being sent off to join their regiments.

Your best bet for finding photos is within your extended family.

Try putting the names in question into the search of other members trees to see if there are any matches. Sometimes if your own family don't have photos then another branch of the family will.

Kath. x

Anne

Anne Report 19 Apr 2017 20:56

Thanks for your quick response, OK I shall try your suggestion. Anne

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Apr 2017 17:28

In my experience, it would be a good idea to follow the female children's marriages for links, as photos tended to be kept by the ladies rather than the male lines.

My parents had 1930s photos of friends' weddings, where Dad had been best man, so witnesses might be another link for you to explore.

Local papers often printed photos of casualties, so that could be another place to look.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 22 May 2017 01:54

At the website http://www.findagrave.com
some of the CWGC memorial pages for WWI casualties have photographs and newspaper clippings attached.

I don't know where they came from - two friends of mine were suprised to find photos of their great-uncles on their pages there. As Gwyn said, the material seemed to come from local papers, possibly obtained from local family history societies.

If your man was killed in WWI, you might want to check his page there.