Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

4th Res York & Lancaster

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Jun 2017 17:03

I have a family photo showing a man in uniform taken c 1916. On the back is written

7166 Pte F Wooldridge 4th Res York & Lancaster

He was born in 1876 so would have been in his forties when the photo was taken.
He died in 1948.

I cant find any military records for him on ancestry or FMP or through googling.

I can find records for the 4th York and Lancaster battalion which was raised in Sheffield close to where he lived.
My question is about the Res, presumably reserve, does this mean that he wouldn't have actually gone to France?

I have a complete life history for him, it is only his war service which I cant find

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Jun 2017 17:15

According to this they did:-

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/328/york-and-lancaster-regiment/

2/4th 2/5th Battalion Territorial Force
21.09.1914 The 2/4th Formed at Sheffield and the 2/5th formed at Rotherham on 03.10.1914.
Mar 1915 Both moved to Bulwell, Nottingham to join the 187th Brigade of the 62nd Division.
April 1915 Moved to Strensall, then Beverley, Gateshead, Larkhill, and Bungay.
Jan 1917 Mobilised for war and landed at Havre and engaged in various actions on the Western Front including;
During 1917
The Operations on the Ancre, The German retreat to the Hindenburg Line, The Arras offensive, The actions on the Hindenburg Line, The Cambrai Operations.
During 1918
The Battle of Bapaume, The First Battle of Arras 1918, The Battles of the Marne 1918, The Scarpe, The Battle of the Drocourt-Queant Line, The Battle of Havrincourt, The Battle of the Canal du Nord, The Battle of the Selle, The capture of Solesmes, The Battle of the Sambre.
11.11.1918 Ended the war in France, Sous-le-Bois near Maubeuge.

3/4th and 3/5th Battalion Territorial Force
Mar 1915 Formed and then moved to Clipstone.
08.04.1916 Became the 4th and 5th Reserve Battalions.
01.09.1916 The 4th absorbed the 5th as part of the West Riding Reserve Brigade.
Oct 1917 Moved to Rugeley, then Woodbridge and Southen by 19.10.1918.

If his service records are not on Findmypast (and I can't see them) then they were probably in the 70% of WW1 records that were destroyed by fire during WW2.

Kath. x

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Jun 2017 17:37

Thank you Kath, I had also found that

I saw this as well

York and Lancaster Regiment 4th (Hallamshire) Btn

4th (Hallamshire) Battalion, York & Lancaster Regiment was a Territorial unit based in Sheffield serving with the 3rd West Riding Brigade, West Riding Division. When war broke out in August 1914, the units of the Division had just departed for their annual summer camp, they were at once recalled to their home base and mobilised for war service, moving to Doncaster. In November they moved to Gainsborough and in in February 1915 to York to prepare for service overseas, those men who had not volunteered for Imperial Service transferred tp the newly formed 2/4th Battalion. They proceeded to France on the 14th of April 1915, sailing from Folkestone to Boulogne. The Division concentrated in the area around Estaires. On the 15th of May the formation was renamed 148th Brigade, 49th (West Riding) Division. Their first action was in the The Battle of Aubers Ridge in May 1915. In 1916 They were in action in the Battles of the Somme. In 1917 they were involved in the Operations on the Flanders Coast and the The Battle of Poelcapelle during the Third Battle of Ypres. In 1918 they were in action during the Battles of the Lys, The pursuit to the Selle and the Final Advance in Picardy. At the Armistice, The 49th Division was resting at Douai, demobilisation began in early 1919.

It was just the reserve bit that made me wonder if some of them stayed behind.

Two large branches of my family start with W and there are very few surviving records for the - just my luck

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 21 Jun 2017 10:35

So for name, looks to be below...

Chris :)

Deaths Mar 1948 (>99%)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Wooldridge Francis O 71 Sheffield 2d 297

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 22 Jun 2017 23:16

Yes that is him Chris, I have the full family history in detail, completely backed up with certificates.
It is just his war service I was frying to find out about, if he served abroad, or if he stayed in this country