Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Navy-Foreign Service

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marj

Marj Report 25 Jul 2017 22:56

Hi,I have Francis Theodore Cavell -Merchant Seaman No.327.251,apprentice age 15yrs. First went to sea 1846 - issued London - 23/07/1846. He also served in RN and has been in Foreign Service. Would someone be able to help me find what ships he was on, any RN records and any info/records of his Foreign Service and any pension entitlement. Thank you,Marj

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jul 2017 10:44

This will tell you what's available for RN ratings before 1853.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-navy-ratings-before-1853/

Presumably you found the MN records on FMP?
Francis
Last name Cavell
Birth year 1831
Birth date 11 Sep 1831
Birth place Ipswich
Birth county/country Suffolk
Archive The National Archives
Series BT113
Piece number 164
Date range 1845-1854
Record set Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1835-1857
Category Education & work
Subcategory Merchant navy & maritime
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

Although the ditto marks against RN & Foreign service, I'm not convinced they mean that he had. After all, he was only 15 at the time & should still have been indentured to them.

Marj

Marj Report 26 Jul 2017 22:13

Hi all,will look again at the provided website,thank you.Am clutching at straws here hoping he may have remained a merchant seaman or was crew on a passenger ship etc as can't find how or when he immigrated to OZ to be married in Victoria 1853.Had a brother George immigrate to NY but no evidence of Francis calling in to see him thence to OZ.