Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

grenadier guards recruitment

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sandra

sandra Report 21 Apr 2018 09:30

My great uncle served with the grenadier guards from 1909 until his death in 1915. He lived in Stoke on Trent and enlisted locally. How would he have been chosen for this regiment-or did he simply enlist and then was assigned to one? I presume the Grenadiers would not have been actively recruiting nationwide, as it was before 1914.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Apr 2018 12:10

He would probably have enlisted somewhere local and then been transferred to a regiment that needed troops.

I have just in the last few weeks found that my grandfather was in the North Staffordshire Regiment which isn't local to where he lived. I didn't even know he was in the army until I found him on an Absent Voters List in 1918 on Findmypast which gave his army number and regiment, next to his address.

His second wife came from Staffordshire and I had no idea how or when he met her but it could mean that he met her whilst stationed in Staffordshire - although I don't suppose I'll ever know for sure.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Apr 2018 12:37

Here are some interesting/amusing suggestions. When you've read it, pick the most likely reason!! :-) :-)

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/topic/98554-determining-which-regiment-to-join/

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Apr 2018 15:31

Reply from Sandra sent as a PM.

Thanks very much for your reply. I found the website you suggested and it made interesting (and amusing) reading.
Sandra

Unless what you have to say is confidential, please respond to posts by using the reply box at the bottom of the screen, then everyone who has contributed to the thread can see what is going on.

I forgot to say that OH's great-uncle, living in Lancashire, joined the Coldstream Guards in 1903, on a 3-year active service and 9 years in the Reserves. This of course meant that he was one of the first to be called up in 1914. We had never stopped to wonder why/how he joined the Guards. An interesting question. :-)