Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RAF records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Naomi

Naomi Report 8 Jan 2019 23:59

I am looking for the RAF service records for Corporal Alfred Smith born 16th May 1921. His service number is 946108. These records seem to be much harder to find than army records. Any assistance would be welcome
Naomi

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Jan 2019 00:39

WW2 records are still with the MOD and are not online. Have a look here to see how to order them:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

The cost is £30 and you may have to wait several months for them to arrive.

Kath. x

Naomi

Naomi Report 9 Jan 2019 08:59

Thank you Kath, does this apply to service men who didn't die in service?
Naomi

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jan 2019 10:10

Yes. It applies to all military records for those who served after about 1921 whether they died in service or survived.

We had to apply to the MOD for my father in laws service records. He was born in 1925. Although he managed to avoid service in WW2, he did undertake National Service just afterwards.

Check the link given earlier. Depending on when Albert did eventually die, and your relationship, some details may be redacted. There will be no fee if either he or his widow are still living & can sign the form. Their (Power of) Attorney could probably sign on their behalf.

Naomi

Naomi Report 9 Jan 2019 11:01

Thank you for clearing that up for me
Naomi