Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Phee - HLI & 9th Commandos WW2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Christine Report 21 Mar 2019 15:19


Please can anyone help. I am trying to find any records of my father's military service. During the Second World War he joined the Highland Light Infantry, and then became a Commando (9th Division). Neither me, nor any of my family have been able to find his service number, nor any record of him. I've tried so many sites, and various ways of spelling his names but with no luck. We don't even have his medals to check.

Many thanks


PatinCyprus Report 21 Mar 2019 16:00

Bob, no records after 1920 are online, they are still with the MOD.

This is the link for obtaining UK service records:

You don't need his army number as long as you have his date of birth. If your father died more than 25 yrs ago there is no problem accessing his records. Under 25 yrs it's the next of kin or by the next of kin's permission, as a son you should be OK. It costs £30 and can take several months to get the documents.


Christine Report 21 Mar 2019 17:25

Hi PalinCyprus - thank you for responding so quickly, and for the great information you have provided. No wonder none of us could find anything!!

I have his date of birth, and sadly my dad died over twenty-five years ago. So, I will be able to access his records.

Once again, I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards