Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can not find record of my nan or grandad serving

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 8 Sep 2019 18:51

I know my nan and grandad served in army but can not find any record i have been told my grandad was a nurse or in medical fiel he was born eric Sydney Hart 18 aug 26 died 27 November 1985 lived in middlesex my nan was joyce rosina smith or hart born in Newcastle dob 11-3-25 died 10-2-98
Any help would be greatly appreciated

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Sep 2019 19:21

Much too recent to be online

You would have to apply for records and pay £30.00 each for them

You would almost certainly also need to provide death certs.

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 8 Sep 2019 19:38

Thank you i thought as would of been in around 1940 i would be able to obtain... i have nans death cert so will look into that thank you

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Sep 2019 20:16

This is where to apply:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Kath. x

Maddie

Maddie Report 9 Sep 2019 16:35

if he was born 1926 wouldn't he have been too young to serve at the beginning of the war, may have made it for the end

is this him in 1939
The Grange Watersplash Road, Sunbury-On-Thames U.D., Middlesex, England
Arthur J Hart 17 Oct 1889 Male Gas Fitter Heavy Married 340 1
Eliza C Hart 24 Sep 1886 Female Unpaid Domestic D Married 340 2
William F Hart 02 Feb 1921 Male Fitter Aircraft Single 340 3
Arthur A Hart 19 Jul 1923 Male Shop Assistant Single 340 4
The record for this person is officially closed. Can I get around this?
Eric S Hart 18 Aug 1926 Male At School Single 340 6

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 9 Sep 2019 20:58

Some people who served in WW2 are still alive so shouldn't be identified. There is a hundred year ban so nothing past 1920 for serving personnel will be on line.

He could have been called up for WW2 after his 18th birthday in August 1944.

Straight after WW2 there was National Service usually up to 2 yrs (some did serve 3 yrs to get the service they wanted) your grandfather if he missed the war may have been a National Serviceman as it started at age 18 unless an apprentice or still in education.