Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lying About Age???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 30 Oct 2019 21:33

One of my ancestors died August 23rd 1943 and his age is given as 43. This man however was born in 1897 so couldn’t be 43 at the time of his death. He was serving with the Australian Infantry at the time. Can anyone think why he might have lowered his age by a few years?

greyghost

greyghost Report 30 Oct 2019 22:59

So he would be accepted as a volunteer?

Have you tried looking what the age restrictions were -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Australia

"In 1939, at the start of World War II, all unmarried men aged 21 were to be called up for three months' military training. These men could serve only in Australia or its territories. Conscription was effectively introduced in mid-1942, when all men aged 18–35, and single men aged 35–45, were required to join the Citizens Military Forces (CMF)." ..........

or re Volunteers -
https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/enlistment

Second World War
"The age limits set for enlistment in the Second Australian Imperial Force (AIF) in 1939 were 20 to 35 for recruits, higher for officers and some NCOs. The maximum was raised to 40 in 1940, and the minimum lowered to 19 in 1941, and 18 in 1943;" ..........

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Oct 2019 00:26

He could have lied about his age at any time - even before going into the army. Ages on death certificates are often wrong. I don't think my grandfather ever knew my grandmothers age. It was five years out on her marriage certificate and my grandfather had her age out by 2 years on her headstone.

People often change the age they give in different circumstances - so as to look either older or younger than a spouse or because they didn't actually know their true age.

Kath. x

Tawny

Tawny Report 31 Oct 2019 06:52

Thank you both. This man lied about a lot including his name and parents but a DNA test his granddaughter did has shown who his family were. It may have been as simple as conscription or not knowing how old he was or it may have been him continuing to hide from his family in England.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Oct 2019 12:01

Maybe the informant who registered the death didn't know his correct age.
Presumably the informant wasn't a family member.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 31 Oct 2019 14:15

A distant relative lied about his age when he married for the 3rd time. This was in Lancashire, but he had been born in Sussex, so he probably thought nobody would know that he was in fact a lot older.
He had to keep working, as he was seen to be still of working age, so perhaps not such a good ploy. He was in fact still working on board ship when he died.
His stepson registered his death giving the information as he knew it, from the time Daniel had married.

Once a lie has been set, it is often perpetuated.