Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

forces weddimgs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 5 May 2020 16:50

any know if i pay for the military records would i be able to see marriages that happened during the 2nd world war
i know my grandparents got married during the war in full uniform as they were both serving
grandfather in marines
grandmother in wraf

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 May 2020 17:32

You would have to buy the service records at a cost of £30.00 each. See my thread about records after 1920

If they married in England/Wales, the record will be on freebmd and you can order a copy of the cert for £11.00

Simon

Simon Report 5 May 2020 18:03

thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 May 2020 20:26

Findmypast have some service marriages abroad if they did not marry at home.

Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 May 2020 14:13

There were probably many services marriages during war years, where the couple wore uniform.
Clothing restrictions and availability meant that uniform was a suitable choice.

My uncle (Army )married his wife, (Wraf ) in Bradford during world war 2 and both wore their uniforms.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 6 May 2020 15:16

You have to ask for permission to marry when in the services and that would be on their service records that's all, may not even say who. Best bet the wedding cert., it's cheaper anyway. Where did they marry?

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 May 2020 16:34

Re PC's post.
His service record will say when he was given permission to marriage -it wouldn't necessarily say who or when he wed.

My aunt had been in the ATS during WW2. She wed my uncle in 1946 - she was dressed in white, but my uncle was in RAF uniform, even though he'd recently been demobbed.