Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surrey Militia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

WhiffingSiggs

WhiffingSiggs Report 25 Jan 2022 10:52

Hi, I have a record of a man, Evan Honey, buried in Durham 1797. It states he is of the Surrey Militia (I think). If so, I have a man of the same name marrying in East Molesey 1793 (fits with the Surrey connection) I have a child born in Hertford 1794 Ann, father Evan Honey. Evan Honey is not a common name. Would militia move around the country like this ? I'm ignorant of military activity of the day.

Maddie

Maddie Report 25 Jan 2022 11:53

was he married before
Name: Evan Honey
Marriage Date: 14 Feb 1791
Marriage Place: Thames Ditton,Surrey,England
Spouse:
Sarah Blake
FHL Film Number: 808495, 808496

Name: Sarah Honey
Marital Status: Married
Death Date: abt 1791
Burial Date: 9 Oct 1791
Burial Place: Kingston, Surrey
Spouse:
Even Honey
FHL Film Number: 991684

relevant for the time period
French Revolutionary War

In view of the worsening international situation in late 1792 the militia was called out, even though Revolutionary France did not declare war on Britain until 1 February 1793. The Surrey Militia was embodied on 1 December 1792.[13][74][76][83] The French Revolutionary Wars saw a new phase for the English militia: they were embodied for a whole generation, and became regiments of full-time professional soldiers (though restricted to service in the British Isles), which the regular army increasingly saw as a prime source of recruits. They served in coast defences, manning garrisons, guarding prisoners of war, and for internal security, while their traditional local defence duties were taken over by the Volunteers and mounted Yeomanry.[55][85]
Supplementary Militia
Main article: 2nd Royal Surrey Militia

In a fresh attempt to have as many men as possible under arms for home defence in order to release regulars, the Government created the Supplementary Militia, a compulsory levy of men to be trained in their spare time, and to be incorporated in the Militia in emergency. Surrey's quota was fixed at 2460 men, a third of which was assigned as reinforcements to the 'Old Surrey Militia', as the original regiment became known.[71][58][86][87][88] The remainder were to form two supplementary regiments. Surrey has been described as one of the 'black spots' in recruitment for the Supplementary Militia (especially compared to the Volunteers), so although the 1st Surrey Supplementary Militia was successfully raised on 14 January 1797 (and became the permanent 2nd Surrey Militia the following year) the 2nd Regiment (intended to be the 3rd Surrey Militia) never reached establishment and was disbanded. The 'Old Surrey Militia' now became the 1st Surrey Militia.[13][74][75][58][55][86][89][90][91][c]

WhiffingSiggs

WhiffingSiggs Report 25 Jan 2022 14:20

I believe he may have been previously married. Thanks for that, looks like it probably is him .