Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brickwall! Don't give up!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ronald

Ronald Report 17 Sep 2014 15:56

For several years I have tried to trace details of my paternal grandmother with no success despite posting on various family history websites and on the internet.
All I knew about her was her name,Edith Margaret Martin born 1886 and her father was George Henry Martin.She married my grandfather on Christmas Day 1913,her father was not recorded as deceased (and gave his occupation),so assumed he was still living at the time.

Edith died suddenly in 1936 following a fall at her home,the coroners report and her susequent funeral were reported in detail in the local paper,copies kept in our local library on microfilm.Both reports give her year of birth as 1886.

After many false leads I did pursue an Edith Margaret Martin,though she was born in 1883 not 1886 (it appears she lied about her age) and her father died in 1892,so not alive at her wedding.She had 5 siblings including a sisters Eunice who married an Alfred Faiers and Susannah who married a John Comley.

These unusual surnames rang bells deep in my memory (and my records!).I went back to the list of mourners in the funeral report.Listed was a Mr and Mrs Faiers and a Mr and Mrs Comley.EUREKA!! This could not be coincidence.

So never give up,the answer could suddenly come out of the blue.